ULaw SQE1: has anyone passed the SQE1 with ULaw and have any pointers before the big day?

SRai19

Dec 19, 2019
The SQE 1 July 2023 sittings are coming up next week...Looking for some reassurance that ULaw has prepared us well for the exam. I attempted the QLTS mock today and was shocked at how many questions are just simply not in the SQE 1 syllabus (and also many poorly structured questions).

Any other July SQE1 warriors out there? How are we feeling?

jprfsx

Standard Member
Feb 25, 2022
I have studied with BPP and found the same. I also found the QLTS questions much harder than the BPP mocks and considerably harder than the SRA practice exam. Can I ask if you passed the QLTS mock?

SRai19

Dec 19, 2019
I have studied with BPP and found the same. I also found the QLTS questions much harder than the BPP mocks and considerably harder than the SRA practice exam. Can I ask if you passed the QLTS mock?
Unfortunately not - I was about 10% off the pass mark set by QLTS for both FLK 1 and FLK2. To be fair, a lot of the questions I got wrong were simply not on the SQE1 assessment specification (I did a side by side comparison of the questions along with the assessment specification) so I spend the day reviewing my mistakes for the questions I got wrong that are actually on the assessment specification.

The SRA sample questions I think are honestly just there to give students and course providers an idea of how the questions will be presented in terms of language and how the content will be assessed (i.e. application) - How about you?

jprfsx

Standard Member
Feb 25, 2022
Unfortunately not - I was about 10% off the pass mark set by QLTS for both FLK 1 and FLK2. To be fair, a lot of the questions I got wrong were simply not on the SQE1 assessment specification (I did a side by side comparison of the questions along with the assessment specification) so I spend the day reviewing my mistakes for the questions I got wrong that are actually on the assessment specification.

The SRA sample questions I think are honestly just there to give students and course providers an idea of how the questions will be presented in terms of language and how the content will be assessed (i.e. application) - How about you?
I got the pass mark exactly on both papers and like you, I am trying not to put too much weight on the questions on content I haven't seen and focus on the ones I got wrong that I could have known. With 180 questions per paper though, I am prepared there will be the odd question where it covers content I have not seen before but hopefully those questions won't be decisive overall! I am just so nervous at this point but it does seem like everyone I know is in the same boat and no one is confident in their preparation going in. good luck anyway!

Reactions: Law1099

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.