University of Law PGDL or Ma Law with SQE1?

Ameer787

Aug 18, 2022
Hello, I am having trouble with a similar options- I am a recent non-law graduate and was planning on commencing the PGDL at UoL Moorgate in Sept, however after doing some more research it seems their MA Law including SQE1 prep course may seem a better option. Essentially this course is a masters that includes the SQE1, would this be a better option than doing the PGDL?? - note that I am quite set on becoming a solicitor also. Thank you

Another thing to note - from UoL’s website it seems that this MA Law with SQE1 consists of the exact same content as a PGDL with SQE1 added on. I believe this course is around £15k however will be eligible for the SF loan up to a certain amount so in my current situation will be cheaper than doing the PGDL.

Reactions: usamb

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The MA course does sound like the better option from my perspective. It will allow you to get a base level knowledge of law and help you prep for SQE1 should you choose to sit it of your own accord or if you secure a TC with a firm and they pay for your SQE1 fees for you.

Reactions: Jane Smith

usamb

Sep 23, 2022
The MA course does sound like the better option from my perspective. It will allow you to get a base level knowledge of law and help you prep for SQE1 should you choose to sit it of your own accord or if you secure a TC with a firm and they pay for your SQE1 fees for you.
Is it not the case for those that did the LLB more than 7 years they have to redo the core modules to do the SQE, for them it might also be a better option to do the SQE MA it seems...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it not the case for those that did the LLB more than 7 years they have to redo the core modules to do the SQE, for them it might also be a better option to do the SQE MA it seems...
There is no requirement to resit the equivalent of a LLB degree to take the SQE - you only need a degree level qualification and there is no time limit to when that qualification was completed (it can even be a non-law course too).

However what you choose as a prep course is very much dependent on you and how confident you are on how much of the knowledge you have retained/can remember. If you are not confident of this (for instance if you have also not been working in a legal field since your LLB), you may want to choose a more extensive course to refresh your LLB knowledge, but this does not need to be a PGDL/MA level course.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.