Unsure what to do - feel like a failure

hehostressed

Jan 2, 2021
Hi all,

To be honest I scraped my LPC with a pass in most of my subjects with multiple resits. Every candidate I’ve seen so far whether it’s a non RG uni, ends up doing quite amazingly on the LPC or if they failed one exam, still excelled in the rest. This is bearing in mind I’m already from a non RG uni background with not so great a levels. I don’t necessarily have mitigating circumstances aside from working more than full time on the LPC

I know firms now do the SQE, but I really can’t put myself through that again. Does anyone have tips or genuinely think there’s a realm of possibility that a firm will let me stick to the LPC route?

Last edited:
Reactions: axelbeugre

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2021
Hi all,

To be honest I scraped my LPC with a pass in most of my subjects with multiple resits. Every candidate I’ve seen so far whether it’s a non RG uni, ends up doing quite amazingly on the LPC or if they failed one exam, still excelled in the rest. This is bearing in mind I’m already from a non RG uni background with not so great a levels. I don’t necessarily have mitigating circumstances aside from working more than full time on the LPC and constantly getting physically sick since I was quite stressed out (coughs, fevers, fainting). It was hard to juggle the LPC.

I know firms now do the SQE, but I really can’t put myself through that again. Does anyone have tips or genuinely think there’s a realm of possibility that a firm will let me stick to the LPC route?
I think some firms are now breaking into only offering the SQE route to their trainee cohort going forward. There are firms though that will happily let you go the LPC route. Think it will be a case of reading their current trainee routes on their websites. It’s worth noting that LPC candidates are exempt from doing the SQE1 but has to do SQE2. It’s worth mentioning to firms this as it’s on the SRA website but recruitment in law firms may state they would like all trainees to follow the one route - the SQE instead of candidates doing different routes.

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi all,

To be honest I scraped my LPC with a pass in most of my subjects with multiple resits. Every candidate I’ve seen so far whether it’s a non RG uni, ends up doing quite amazingly on the LPC or if they failed one exam, still excelled in the rest. This is bearing in mind I’m already from a non RG uni background with not so great a levels. I don’t necessarily have mitigating circumstances aside from working more than full time on the LPC and constantly getting physically sick since I was quite stressed out (coughs, fevers, fainting). It was hard to juggle the LPC.

Hey @zaratryingtodolaw,

I do feel sorry for how you are feeling but you should be so proud of yourself for everything you have achieved so far. Graduating university and going through the LPC, regardless of the grades obtained, is already a huge milestone to celebrate. Additionally, you had health issues and you were working alongside studying which takes great effort, perseverance, many late nights and strength so I applaud you for that.

I totally understand your frustration in that you do not want to study further for the SQE as you have put so much effort into the LPC. as someone remarked in the comments here, many law firms will allow you to qualify through the LPC route, however there are a lot of firms that will require you to sit at least SQE2. What I would do is looking into whether you are exempted from SQE1(the most difficult according to people who have done it), that might be a good place to start.

I would not say that you have less chances to obtain a training contract because of your grades. You definitely have extenuating circumstances so I would try to stress how your health conditions were detrimental to your success on the course. There are so many firms to apply to, from larger to smaller firms, and you never know which one will give you the chance you need to prove that you are worth investing in and you will become a successful commercial lawyer regardless of your circumstances, and so I would encourage you to apply to as many firms as possible.

I hope this is helpful and good luck with everything!

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
Oct 27, 2023
Hi all,

What about finding a role as a paralegal in a high street firm, qualifying there and then with a few years of exp moving into the type of law firm that you are now after?

Reactions: hungry_for_TC

A worried final year

Esteemed Member
Mar 25, 2024
Most firms below national level are relatively risk-averse and are therefore pro-LPC.

I have been told that Irwin Mitchell prefer the LPC over the SQE though I am not sure how true this is. - Their site indicates a 10 year grace period for LPC finishers.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.