Unsure where I stand. LPC or SQE?

Lbrown251019

Apr 13, 2022
I appreciate this may be a really niche situation. I have contacted the SRA, however I am still awaiting a reply. I am a non-law graduate who works at a law firm (currently on maternity leave). Back in July 2021 I secured a training contract and I am in a very privileged position as my employer is willing to fund my PGDL and LPC/SQE. My employer does not have any preference which route I take. I am unsure whether I still fall under the transitional arrangements as I accepted the offer in writing back in July 2021, however I never registered as a trainee with the SRA as I went on maternity so short after. Also, I start my PGDL in September and I return to work starting the training contract in July. I am just wondering which route I will most likely take once this is completed. I hope it all makes sense!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I appreciate this may be a really niche situation. I have contacted the SRA, however I am still awaiting a reply. I am a non-law graduate who works at a law firm (currently on maternity leave). Back in July 2021 I secured a training contract and I am in a very privileged position as my employer is willing to fund my PGDL and LPC/SQE. My employer does not have any preference which route I take. I am unsure whether I still fall under the transitional arrangements as I accepted the offer in writing back in July 2021, however I never registered as a trainee with the SRA as I went on maternity so short after. Also, I start my PGDL in September and I return to work starting the training contract in July. I am just wondering which route I will most likely take once this is completed. I hope it all makes sense!
I suspect you will need clarity from the SRA on this, but I would assume you would have to take the SQE where you did not start the GDL before 31 December 2021. However, at the same time there is wording that suggests if you committed to a TC before 1 September 2021 you could still do the existing route.

You may also want to ask the institutions you were considering doing the PGDL with as to what route you could take based on the course they can offer you.

Reactions: James Carrabino

Putt5353

Nov 20, 2021
I suspect you will need clarity from the SRA on this, but I would assume you would have to take the SQE where you did not start the GDL before 31 December 2021. However, at the same time there is wording that suggests if you committed to a TC before 1 September 2021 you could still do the existing route.

You may also want to ask the institutions you were considering doing the PGDL with as to what route you could take based on the course they can offer
I can’t be of much help with your actual question, but from personal experience I would suggest calling the SRA (as you can be waiting forever for an email reply) and just remember to make a note of the name of the person you speak with. Best of luck with everything!

Reactions: James Carrabino

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.