Unusual situation - med student moving to a career in law

dreallday

Sep 25, 2022
Hey, I'm new here but to cut long story short, I'm a medical student at a top RG university, who's transferring out of medicine to complete a Biochemistry degree (3rd year, therefore finalist). My eyes are currently set on patent attorney traineeships, vacation schemes and training contracts, however, due to my recent decision to switch career course and my lack of professional development I have concerns regarding the feasibility of applications. While I feel quite competent in answering application questions (why this firm, what skills you have etc.) being able to pull transferable skills from other things I've done in life, I don't exactly know how much a lack of legal experience will affect me, I know this isn't a major issue for applying to biochemistry related patent traineeships, but for vacation schemes and training contracts many times it is asked about what legal experience you've undertaken or how you've been proactive in law. I've done a few virtual internships (Clifford chance and HSF), and will be attending open days this autumn season, but aside from that, I'm a fresh face to this scene. I of course intend to network via LinkedIn/email and will aim to get work experience prior to the summer vac scheme deadlines. But my big issue is that my second-year grades fell below (health reasons for the most part but not necessarily mitigating), I finished 1st year with a ~2.1, and got A*A*A* at A level, but due to a heavy fall in grades in 2nd year I fear it may not be worth applying until graduation (presuming a 2.1/1). Does anyone have any guidance for a situation like mine, or in general if it's worth applying despite lacklustre 2nd year grades?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think you’d be surprised to hear this is not that unusual. Many medical students pursue other careers, and law (and especially patent law) is just one of those options. I have seen medical students apply for and secure legal careers throughout my career. They may not be high in number, but you generally see a handful each year.

I think you are taking a very reasonable approach based on what you have said. Recognising this is the early part of your journey to law is a healthy approach to take, and yet you are being really proactive by doing the virtual programmes and applying for open days etc. it won’t take you long to show your pursuit of the career, as you have already done a few things to set you on that journey.

If your second year grades are not a 2.1 standard, then for many opportunities it will be worthwhile waiting until you have your final year results before applying. It sounds like if there were health issues in your second year that you may have extenuating circumstances - I wouldn’t necessarily discount that you didn’t have them if it is health related.

• 🏆
Reactions: Jaysen, dreallday and AvniD

dreallday

Sep 25, 2022
I think you’d be surprised to hear this is not that unusual. Many medical students pursue other careers, and law (and especially patent law) is just one of those options. I have seen medical students apply for and secure legal careers throughout my career. They may not be high in number, but you generally see a handful each year.

I think you are taking a very reasonable approach based on what you have said. Recognising this is the early part of your journey to law is a healthy approach to take, and yet you are being really proactive by doing the virtual programmes and applying for open days etc. it won’t take you long to show your pursuit of the career, as you have already done a few things to set you on that journey.

If your second year grades are not a 2.1 standard, then for many opportunities it will be worthwhile waiting until you have your final year results before applying. It sounds like if there were health issues in your second year that you may have extenuating circumstances - I wouldn’t necessarily discount that you didn’t have them if it is health related.
Ah thank you very much for confirming many of my queries. Out of curiosity, contextual data taken into account and with previous educational history suggesting an expected 2;1/high achieving, would it be wrong to spend time applying to the firms asking for 2.1's? Hypothetically would a strong application aside from 2nd-year grades be able to make it past the paper stage/to interview? Thanks again in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ah thank you very much for confirming many of my queries. Out of curiosity, contextual data taken into account and with previous educational history suggesting an expected 2;1/high achieving, would it be wrong to spend time applying to the firms asking for 2.1's? Hypothetically would a strong application aside from 2nd-year grades be able to make it past the paper stage/to interview? Thanks again in advance.
Contextualised grades typically only apply to A-level or equivalent education levels.

But if you do have extenuating circumstances to your second year university grades, I would apply anyway. If there weren't any extenuating circumstances, you can apply, I just would expect you to have much more success once you have your final year results where your second year grades are your latest results - given that, it is harder to work out whether your first year grades are a true reflection of your abilities or whether your second year grades are.

Reactions: dreallday

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.