Upcoming 2022 TCs [Success]

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
Hello guys just thought that I would create a thread for the upcoming cycle of training contracts. These are a list of some of the firms I have been looking at [pretty much all the firms here are commercial and sponsor the LPC or GDL]:
Travers Smith LLP
Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy
K&L Gates LLP
Kirkland & Ellis
Baker McKenzie LLP
Sidley Austin LLP
Bryan Cave Leighton PaisnerSullivan & Cromwell LLPWeil, Gotshal & Manges
White & Case LLP
Covington & Burling LLP
Latham & Watkins
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld
Russell-Cooke Solicitors
O'Melveny & Myers sponsors
Trowers & Hamlins LLP
Vinson & Elkins
Burges Salmon LLP
Clyde & Co LLP
Gowling
RPC
Davis Polk & Wardwell London LLP
CMS
Jones Day
Morrison & Foerster (UK) LLP
Dechert LLP
DLA Piper LLP
Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP
Reed Smith
Hogan Lovells

I am creating this thread so that we can walk together, encourage one another, and bounce ideas of each other as we go and get training contract offers. Please everyone is welcome to contribute something every little helps.

TM

Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 23, 2019
Hello, thanks for creating this. I hope to join you on this journey. But one I noticed, is that some firms do not recruit as much in the summer season. I think DLA and Dechert mainly recruit through vacation schemes.

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
Hello, thanks for creating this. I hope to join you on this journey. But one I noticed, is that some firms do not recruit as much in the summer season. I think DLA and Dechert mainly recruit through vacation schemes.

you are very much welcome. Yeah when sifting through I noticed that some of the firms either recruit mainly through their VS or exclusively through the VS. For those ones I wont be applying to them

I hope you do join me on this journey

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
So I have a few direct TC apps that I will be doing but have added two to the list recently that I haven't had any interaction with - does anyone have any advice on how to tackle this as obviously they're different from vac scheme apps where you are given a chance to learn more about the firm.

Anyone else in this situation?

TM

Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 23, 2019
So I have a few direct TC apps that I will be doing but have added two to the list recently that I haven't had any interaction with - does anyone have any advice on how to tackle this as obviously they're different from vac scheme apps where you are given a chance to learn more about the firm.

Anyone else in this situation?

Might be worth reaching out to people on Linkedin or looking through your network. You do not have to meet someone at an open day, you can initiate communication yourself. Anyway, I do not believe that an interaction with someone from the firm is a requirement, if you can demonstrate excellent understanding and research done on the firm, I am sure it will suffice.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Might be worth reaching out to people on Linkedin or looking through your network. You do not have to meet someone at an open day, you can initiate communication yourself. Anyway, I do not believe that an interaction with someone from the firm is a requirement, if you can demonstrate excellent understanding and research done on the firm, I am sure it will suffice.
    ^ good advice here. It’s not necessary but consider reaching out to a trainee/associate and meeting for a coffee - can be a really useful way of finding more about a firm beyond its website.

Samar

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 28, 2019
    ^ good advice here. It’s not necessary but consider reaching out to a trainee/associate and meeting for a coffee - can be a really useful way of finding more about a firm beyond its website.

Fab, thanks for the advice both. Wanted to make sure it came across on the application that I knew them beyond things found on the website if haven't been on an open day there etc.

Charles

Distinguished Member
    Sep 25, 2019

Just piggying back on what madison has said my feeling is you do not need to meet someone from the firm to get into the firm. Eg I remember when I was writing an application to Oxford and Cambridge Uni. I went to Oxford uni for their tour for prospective students, paid for an expensive coach ticket which I could have used to buy numerous flapjacks[i didnt get a place there] but for cambridge i locked myself indoors and wrote a decent app and got a conditional offer

• 🤝
    Reactions: FutureCity and Samar

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    Just piggying back on what madison has said my feeling is you do not need to meet someone from the firm to get into the firm. Eg I remember when I was writing an application to Oxford and Cambridge Uni. I went to Oxford uni for their tour for prospective students, paid for an expensive coach ticket which I could have used to buy numerous flapjacks[i didnt get a place there] but for cambridge i locked myself indoors and wrote a decent app and got a conditional offer

Did the same thing with Oxford, what a waste of time tbh

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.