Upcoming A&O open day

Nick

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi everyone,

Good job on the site!

Basically, I've been invited to attend an A&O open day. This was much to my surprise, because I was rejected by them for a TC app back in November.

I have to choose some interactive workshops to attend during the open day, I was wondering if you’d be able to help me out a bit?

This is the email that I received:

"The Open Day will run from 9:30am - 5:30pm on the 14 March in our London office: One Bishops Square, London E1 6AD. This year, we are giving you the opportunity to only attend the sessions that you will find the most interesting and relevant to you.

The day will start with breakfast and then an introduction from our Graduate Recruitment Manager, following which will be a morning Partner Panel. You will then be able to continue the day as you have chosen, ending with a Trainee Networking Practice fair."

Further to that, theres a link, where I need to choose some 'sessions/interactive workshops' to attend. The options are:
1.) From 11 - 12:
GR app tips *
Diversity at A&O
Work through a case study and gain an insight into IP
2.) From 1:30 - 2:30:
How to build your Personal Brand
Interactive session with Nivaura (A&O’s Fintech partners) *
Pro-bono at A&O
3.) From 2:30 - 3:30:
Again, Pro-bono
Mock interviews *
Interactive commercial awareness session *
* = denotes those that I’m interested in. So effectively, its the last one that I’m struggling with..

Also if you have any tips on do’s/don’ts, how to make the best/a lasting impression, and how to get the most out of the day?

Sofia

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi everyone,

Good job on the site!

Basically, I've been invited to attend an A&O open day. This was much to my surprise, because I was rejected by them for a TC app back in November.

I have to choose some interactive workshops to attend during the open day, I was wondering if you’d be able to help me out a bit?

"The Open Day will run from 9:30am - 5:30pm on the 14 March in our London office: One Bishops Square, London E1 6AD. This year, we are giving you the opportunity to only attend the sessions that you will find the most interesting and relevant to you.

The day will start with breakfast and then an introduction from our Graduate Recruitment Manager, following which will be a morning Partner Panel. You will then be able to continue the day as you have chosen, ending with a Trainee Networking Practice fair."

Further to that, theres a link, where I need to choose some 'sessions/interactive workshops' to attend. The options are:
1.) From 11 - 12:
GR app tips *
Diversity at A&O
Pro-bono at A&O
Again, Pro-bono
Mock interviews *
* = denotes those that I’m interested in. So effectively, its the last one that I’m struggling with..

Also if you have any tips on do’s/don’ts, how to make the best/a lasting impression, and how to get the most out of the day?

Hey Nick :). I applied for a TC with A&O too and got rejected. When did you get the open day invite? I would probably go for the commercial awareness session but what do you think you're weaker on?

Nick

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hey Sofia,

I received the invite literally last Wednesday. I kind of submitted the open day app on a whim; I didn't expect to get a place if I'm honest (due to the TC rejection).

I'm not too sure.. I generally think I'm quite savvy when it comes to commercial awareness. However, I feel that I'm struggling to decide between the two, because I've never actually had an AC, therefore, I haven't been interviewed. So its difficult to determine which one would be more beneficial in practice.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,

Good job on the site!

1.) From 11 - 12:
    GR app tips *
    Diversity at A&O
    Pro-bono at A&O
    Again, Pro-bono
    Mock interviews *

Welcome Nick! That looks like a fantastic day, especially the Nivaura session (I was just writing about Fuse!).

A few tips:
    • Smile! Be personable and (try to ) relax when you're speaking to GR/lawyers at the firm.
    • Prepare questions that you can't find online. Good genuine questions can make you stand out. Make sure it's an actual question, it's quite obvious when students ask questions which aren't linked to the talk.
    • If there's someone at the firm you get on well with, follow-up with an email. There's some good tips on networking here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-do-you-network.17/
    I'll try to think of some more or if there's anything you're particularly worried about, feel free to ask!

Nicole

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hey Sofia,

I received the invite literally last Wednesday. I kind of submitted the open day app on a whim; I didn't expect to get a place if I'm honest (due to the TC rejection).

I'm not too sure.. I generally think I'm quite savvy when it comes to commercial awareness. However, I feel that I'm struggling to decide between the two, because I've never actually had an AC, therefore, I haven't been interviewed. So its difficult to determine which one would be more beneficial in practice.

It sounds like you would benefit from the interview session more :). I think the only way to get good at those is real practice and if you're already good at commercial awareness, this seems like a great opportunity!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.