Using LinkedIn to get to know firms better while applying

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hi guys,

I'm currently debating whether or not to reach out to a few associates at a firm I'm currently writing an application for on LinkedIn. I didn't meet this firm at any open days, law fairs or networking events, and I think it would be a good way to show that I've made efforts to research them beyond just reading their website and other guides.

However, I'm not really sure what the best way to go about this is. How should I introduce myself? What questions are on and off limits? I would be really grateful if anyone could share any tips!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys,

I'm currently debating whether or not to reach out to a few associates at a firm I'm currently writing an application for on LinkedIn. I didn't meet this firm at any open days, law fairs or networking events, and I think it would be a good way to show that I've made efforts to research them beyond just reading their website and other guides.

However, I'm not really sure what the best way to go about this is. How should I introduce myself? What questions are on and off limits? I would be really grateful if anyone could share any tips!

Don’t contact with too many
    Try to explain why you are connecting with them rather than any other associate/member of staff you could have asked
    Explain what you are hoping to get out of the conversation/connection
    Keep it short - I’ve lost count how many people send me essays about themselves which I don’t really need to know or could have found out if I had skim read their profile

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    This is exactly the sort of advice I was looking for - thanks both. I've found two associates who work in different practice areas at the firm who both went to my university (although I don't think they trained at the firm). What I'm really aiming to ask about is what they enjoy about the firm's culture as that's usually the angle you can't really find out on a website!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    This is exactly the sort of advice I was looking for - thanks both. I've found two associates who work in different practice areas at the firm who both went to my university (although I don't think they trained at the firm). What I'm really aiming to ask about is what they enjoy about the firm's culture as that's usually the angle you can't really find out on a website!
    Hey! Just a point to add with what’s been said above, do be concise but try to ask specifically about the culture if you’ve read something online about what the firm does, try to show you have researched and attempted to scope the answer but you’d like more depth or understand something further :)

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.