Vac Scheme Pre-Employment Tax Information?

B1806

Distinguished Member
Dec 31, 2019
I'm finalising filling out the onboarding form the firm gave me for my upcoming vac scheme but I ran into a bit of a problem. There's a section asking about my employment since 6 April for tax purposes. It's asking me to choose one of three options, though only 2 are really relevant since the third one only applies if I'm currently employed.
Essentially, I was a brand ambassador for another firm until February of this year. For that, I signed a contract and was paid £200. This leaves me in an uncertain position regarding what I need to choose. Does my brand ambassador role count as a job?

The two options are:

Option A:
Do not choose this statement if you're in receipt of a State, Works or Private Pension.
Choose this statement if the following applies.
This is my first job since 6 April and since the 6 April I've not received payments from any of the following:
  • Jobseeker's Allowance:
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
Option B:
Do not choose this statement if you're in receipt of a State, Works or Private Pension.
Choose this statement if the following applies.
Since 6 April I have had another job but I do not have a P45. And/or since the 6 April I have received payments from any of the following:
  • Jobseeker's Allowance:
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, your BA role is paid employment. If you do not have a P45 for this, state B.

Or you just submit this in 4 days time and then it will be A

B1806

Distinguished Member
Dec 31, 2019
Yes, your BA role is paid employment. If you do not have a P45 for this, state B.

Or you just submit this in 4 days time and then it will be A
Thank you! It's due on the 5th of April, so I'll just barely miss that!

What are the practical implications of this, anyways? I realise it has something to do with tax allowances, but does it have any actual impact on how much I'll receive for the scheme?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you! It's due on the 5th of April, so I'll just barely miss that!

What are the practical implications of this, anyways? I realise it has something to do with tax allowances, but does it have any actual impact on how much I'll receive for the scheme?
It may mean you are on emergency tax, but you would get that back in time anyway.

Reactions: B1806

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.