Vacation Scheme application prep

lbb

Aug 15, 2020
Hello everyone! This is my first time creating a thread, so I'm sorry if I lack any "TCLA" etiquette.

With vacation scheme applications beginning to slowly open up, I am trying to figure out what kind of application strategy would work best for me. Due to so many firms reviewing applications on a rolling basis, I definitely want to hand in my applications ASAP.

I know the firms I want to apply to, and have spoken to future trainees about the application process. They have kindly shared the application questions they answered when they were applying for vac schemes.

Would it be unwise for me to prepare answers to these questions in anticipation? I know that sometimes application questions differ each year, but on the flip side a lot of them appear to be asking the same questions too!

I'm in two minds about this, as I don't want to prepare/ask people to review answers for questions that may not appear on the application.

Sorry for such a long-winded post! :)

Reactions: Jaysen

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Hey,

I would prepare answers to, at the very least, the following questions:

Why do I want to be a commercial lawyer? (Why law)

What skills do I have that are transferrable to the role of a trainee (Why me)

What is your greatest achievement? (Why me)

What extra-curricular activities do you engage in that will support your application? (Why me)

And of course - Why X Firm. Although, this is the one answer that must be tailored specifically to the application.

My strategy last year - Identify the firms I wanted to apply to, identify when their VS's were, and work on the assumption all of my applications are going to be successful. The last thing you want is making three successful applications to firms who have their VS on the exact same dates. Its a big waste, as not all firms will be flexible and allow you to change.

Then, I Identified who recruited on a rolling basis. I got these apps completed first. Check TCLA for the thread that lists them.

Next, I found out what firms had similar/identical questions. These were applications I could fire off quickly as I only needed to craft the "Why X Firm" question. This can be done in a day, easily, once you have the other questions nailed down.

One small nuance of my strategy was that the winter-scheme firm's I applied to were firms that were not high on my priority list. I feel this particular scheme is tougher to get on to. This is because the scheme is often shorter, has fewer spaces, and likely to attract potentially higher-level candidates (graduates, with experience) as it is only a week long. This would be easier for them to get time off work as opposed to 2-3 weeks in the Summer.

For my work experiences, I kept them to 4 and each experience to 150 words, this is because this was a limit I found on a few apps and I wanted to copy and paste efficiently. If you

One final tip - Many firms use apply4law. Therefore, you can prep all of your grades and stuff to be pasted in by using "My Locker", available at lawcareers.net - It's brilliant

• 🏆
  • ℹ️
Reactions: J32, Karin, lbb and 3 others

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hey,

What extra-curricular activities do you engage in that will support your application? (Why me)

And of course - Why X Firm. Although, this is the one answer that must be tailored specifically to the application.

My strategy last year - Identify the firms I wanted to apply to, identify when their VS's were, and work on the assumption all of my applications are going to be successful. The last thing you want is making three successful applications to firms who have their VS on the exact same dates. Its a big waste, as not all firms will be flexible and allow you to change.

Then, I Identified who recruited on a rolling basis. I got these apps completed first. Check TCLA for the thread that lists them.

Next, I found out what firms had similar/identical questions. These were applications I could fire off quickly as I only needed to craft the "Why X Firm" question. This can be done in a day, easily, once you have the other questions nailed down.

One small nuance of my strategy was that the winter-scheme firm's I applied to were firms that were not high on my priority list. I feel this particular scheme is tougher to get on to. This is because the scheme is often shorter, has fewer spaces, and likely to attract potentially higher-level candidates (graduates, with experience) as it is only a week long. This would be easier for them to get time off work as opposed to 2-3 weeks in the Summer.

For my work experiences, I kept them to 4 and each experience to 150 words, this is because this was a limit I found on a few apps and I wanted to copy and paste efficiently. If you

One final tip - Many firms use apply4law. Therefore, you can prep all of your grades and stuff to be pasted in by using "My Locker", available at lawcareers.net - It's brilliant

Hi @D can I ask what kind of achievements can we describe when answering your biggest achievement?
Thank you in advance.

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
Hello everyone! This is my first time creating a thread, so I'm sorry if I lack any "TCLA" etiquette.

With vacation scheme applications beginning to slowly open up, I am trying to figure out what kind of application strategy would work best for me. Due to so many firms reviewing applications on a rolling basis, I definitely want to hand in my applications ASAP.

I know the firms I want to apply to, and have spoken to future trainees about the application process. They have kindly shared the application questions they answered when they were applying for vac schemes.

Would it be unwise for me to prepare answers to these questions in anticipation? I know that sometimes application questions differ each year, but on the flip side a lot of them appear to be asking the same questions too!

I'm in two minds about this, as I don't want to prepare/ask people to review answers for questions that may not appear on the application.

Sorry for such a long-winded post! :)

• Identify the firms you 'really' care about. You should work on those applications earlier (and spend more time on them). You may even want to strategise by specifically applying for their vacation schemes over a direct TC because if you are a strong/successful candidate, you will likely pick from the pool of firms that you had the most interaction with.
  • Consider firms that should be direct TC or vacation scheme firms (if you only apply for vacation schemes and are successful, you won't be able to do them all because they often clash dates).
  • Prepare answers to their questions in anticipation (make sure it is recent but you can also gather a pool of previous questions).
  • Prepare an extended CV that discusses each item on your CV in prose so it'll prepare you better for the interview when you need to think of something to say about your experiences.
  • Get people to review your applications.

• ℹ️
Reactions: lbb, Zoo and Jaysen

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Hi @D can I ask what kind of achievements can we describe when answering your biggest achievement?
Thank you in advance.

Whatever you choose, just make sure it is truthful, that way, you will speak about it with conviction.

For me - It was getting into University at 31. It was a long journey and I was able to speak about how and why it happened. For most, this is not an achievement, it's just "the norm". However, for me, it wasn't. The point is - Have a real think about something you are absolutely proud of, and then the answer will write itself :)

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Whatever you choose, just make sure it is truthful, that way, you will speak about it with conviction.

For me - It was getting into University at 31. It was a long journey and I was able to speak about how and why it happened. For most, this is not an achievement, it's just "the norm". However, for me, it wasn't. The point is - Have a real think about something you are absolutely proud of, and then the answer will write itself :)

thank you so much. This is really helpful

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Hey,

This is all great advice and really useful! Just two thoughts:

1. I wouldn't not apply to two firms that have the same VS dates - getting both schemes wouldn't be the norm.
2. It's interesting what you say about Winter Vac Schemes - I sometimes think they are easier to get because less people can apply for them (usually only graduates/final years.

Reactions: Karin and Tushar

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018

1. I wouldn't not apply to two firms that have the same VS dates - getting both schemes wouldn't be the norm.
2. It's interesting what you say about Winter Vac Schemes - I sometimes think they are easier to get because less people can apply for them (usually only graduates/final years.

Ah of course, don't not apply like that. Just, ensure you are spreading your applications wide :)

• 🤝
Reactions: tractor12

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019

Just wanted to say, all your advice on the forum is so so helpful. It is so clear you really had your shit together and worked very hard so you really deserve all the success you’ve had this year! Well done : )

Reactions: lbb, Jaysen and tractor12

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Just wanted to say, all your advice on the forum is so so helpful. It is so clear you really had your shit together and worked very hard so you really deserve all the success you’ve had this year! Well done : )

That's very kind of you! If I can help in any specific way, let me know. TCLA has given me a lot and its only right I give back too :)

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020
The other form of prep you might want to consider is preparing for the lateral thinking tests. Use the forum to find out which sort of test each firm uses (most use Watson Glaser, some don't), then complete as many practice tests as possible.

There are a few free ones on the web - complete them all. If you want to and are able to, buying the extended tests/guides/questions from somewhere like jobtestprep is also useful, but obviously costs money. Several people I know including myself did this and found it very useful, but even if you don't choose to buy extra tests, at least do all the practice ones you can, to acquaint yourself with the style of the tests.

Reactions: lbb

Lawgrad98

Jul 23, 2019

It would be interesting to see what the ratio of applications/places is for winter schemes compared to spring and summer

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It would be interesting to see what the ratio of applications/places is for winter schemes compared to spring and summer

Varies massively between firms. Some winter schemes are more competitive than summer (generally due to fewer places) while others are less so.

Can even change between the same firm in the subsequent year. All it takes is a clash of dates with other things and a scheme can become far less popular.

I really wouldn’t worry about these things though. If you are eligible and want to apply, apply. It’s only if you are not eligible than I stress not to waste your time.

You’ve got to be in it to win it....

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is there a thread anywhere that lists winter schemes and/or which firms recruit on a rolling basis?

https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/WorkPlacementDeadlines

You can filter by type of scheme. I suspect this year many firms will not confirm their winter schemes until a little bit later when they can understand what the scheme may consist of. Even in a normal year, firms don't have this information ready until mid-to-late September once they have got through the busy summer period for recruitment. Given everything that is happening at the moment, many firms may choose to move Winter to Spring or just run a large summer scheme instead. A lot of organisations I am working with are not talking about getting people back in the office properly until January 2021 - which means for many firms it will be a virtual scheme or nothing at all.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Tushar and cgs97

lbb

Aug 15, 2020
Thank you to so much for all of your answers! It's clear that you all have worked really hard to get to where you are right now, and you've definitely inspired me to get my arse into gear for vac scheme apps this year.

Karin

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    I think this has been mostly answered, but as part of preparation, I would also try to think about all of the skills needed to be a great lawyer (you can find those on most firms recruitment pages when they describe what they look for in candidates) and think of examples of where you have shown this. I had a word document with this where I would always have: 1. skill 2. evidence of me having it (multiple examples if possible!) 3. how it links to being an excellent lawyer/how it would help you in your role. This really helps when answering competency questions in applications but also when preparing for the interview stage! It may also help you identify skills that you don't have any evidence for and you should maybe focus on developing :)

Reactions: lbb and S87

lbb

Aug 15, 2020
    I think this has been mostly answered, but as part of preparation, I would also try to think about all of the skills needed to be a great lawyer (you can find those on most firms recruitment pages when they describe what they look for in candidates) and think of examples of where you have shown this. I had a word document with this where I would always have: 1. skill 2. evidence of me having it (multiple examples if possible!) 3. how it links to being an excellent lawyer/how it would help you in your role. This really helps when answering competency questions in applications but also when preparing for the interview stage! It may also help you identify skills that you don't have any evidence for and you should maybe focus on developing :)

Yes I've heard that you should try and make a "competency" grid using each of the desired skills listed by firms. I think the part I struggle most with is linking it back to being a good lawyer, as I feel like I end up regurgitating the same answer using different words :confused:

Thank you so much for your response Karin!

• Haha
    Reactions: Tushar

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.