Vacation scheme Case research

Chiomaaa

Mar 6, 2023
Hiii, I'm currently applying for a summer vacation scheme at Weighmans and struggling to find recent, relevant cases for the application. I've tried finding some on the firm's Insights page but I'm worried it isn't specific enough. So I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hiii, I'm currently applying for a summer vacation scheme at Weighmans and struggling to find recent, relevant cases for the application. I've tried finding some on the firm's Insights page but I'm worried it isn't specific enough. So I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips.
Are you asked to discuss a particular case?

NatashaS98

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 30, 2022
Hi @Chiomaaa

Is the application asking you to discuss a firm case? My advice generally when discussing cases in relation to a firm is to think about cases that best exemplify the firm's capabilities. Work backwards and think about the kind of practice areas and sector work Weightmans excels in/factors which motivated you to apply to Weightmans. By doing this, you can then try and identify a case that involved those practice areas/work in the sector. In essence, your case can try and act as evidence for the reasons why you are applying to Weightmans in the first place.

Very often, there is little information on the website because of certain intricacies to the case being confidential. It is therefore fine to try and think more broadly/laterally and hypothesise as to what kind of work might have been required to assist the client.

I also found looking more broadly online about the case (e.g. if it was an M&A case) helpful. This involved me typically looking at other websites .e.g Bloomberg. Through this, I was able to learn more about the clients involved in the case and what their business objectives were. This can help you consider the commercial implications of the case and learn more about the case through information that is open to the public/available online.

Chiomaaa

Mar 6, 2023
Hi @Chiomaaa

Is the application asking you to discuss a firm case? My advice generally when discussing cases in relation to a firm is to think about cases that best exemplify the firm's capabilities. Work backwards and think about the kind of practice areas and sector work Weightmans excels in/factors which motivated you to apply to Weightmans. By doing this, you can then try and identify a case that involved those practice areas/work in the sector. In essence, your case can try and act as evidence for the reasons why you are applying to Weightmans in the first place.

Very often, there is little information on the website because of certain intricacies to the case being confidential. It is therefore fine to try and think more broadly/laterally and hypothesise as to what kind of work might have been required to assist the client.

I also found looking more broadly online about the case (e.g. if it was an M&A case) helpful. This involved me typically looking at other websites .e.g Bloomberg. Through this, I was able to learn more about the clients involved in the case and what their business objectives were. This can help you consider the commercial implications of the case and learn more about the case through information that is open to the public/available online.
Thank you so much Natasha. I will incorporate these into my application

• 🤝
Reactions: NatashaS98

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.