Vacation scheme for international students with no graduate visa

paulzhou99

Feb 1, 2021
Hey everyone!

I just graduated from UCL a while back. Due to certain circumstances beynd my control, I was unable to apply for the graduate visa to replace my student visa on time. I understand that this might be an issue in applying for vacation schemes. Would employers still be willing to consider me for VS schemes? And if not, is there a way for me to make up for this disadvantage?

Best,
Paul

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey everyone!

I just graduated from UCL a while back. Due to certain circumstances beynd my control, I was unable to apply for the graduate visa to replace my student visa on time. I understand that this might be an issue in applying for vacation schemes. Would employers still be willing to consider me for VS schemes? And if not, is there a way for me to make up for this disadvantage?

Best,
Paul
Hey @paulzhou99, I am so sorry for your situation and being an international student myself I can understand the struggle with visa and vacation scheme applications. Unfortunately, I am afraid law firms will not allow you to do any vacation schemes if you do not have a student visa or a right to work in the UK. I found that they are pretty strict about that. What some firms might do, if they really like you, is to move you to a direct training contract process so you might have a chance with that. I would say that this might be more common with firms who recruit a substantial amount of people from their direct training contract application like white & case, weil or dentons. What I would do is to reach out to graduate recruitment of the firms you are interested in and make sure to make them aware of the situation.
Good luck with everything !

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey everyone!

Best,
Paul
You may want to check to see whether you are eligible for any other form of visa, like a youth mobility visa or a high potential individual visa, as this will give you the right to work in the U.K. for a period of time.

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.