Vacation scheme in non-London office

jason_w1028

Standard Member
Premium Member
Sep 26, 2020
Hi all!

I have just completed my final-year law exams at one of the London universities and have a vacation scheme at a Silver Circle firm scheduled for next month. However, the scheme will be at the firm's Hong Kong, rather than London, office. I applied to vacation schemes in both locations, but I only received an offer for Hong Kong, my hometown. My preference is to qualify as a solicitor in London.

My questions are:

1. In the case where I do receive a TC offer from the Hong Kong office after the vacation scheme, would it be possible to negotiate for a TC in the London office instead? My interview/AC (along with all preparatory communications) for the Hong Kong vacation scheme was carried out by the London office Graduate Recruitment Team, therefore I'm assuming recruitment for Hong Kong is also handled by the London office. Would this render transferring office a much easier task?

2. In the event that I fail to receive a TC offer after the scheme, could I ask to be considered for a London TC (or VS) instead?

3. If a fail to receive a TC offer, how valuable would it be to have a vacation scheme at a Silver Circle firm, albeit in a non-London office, on my CV when applying to future TCs in London?

Thanks!

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all!

I have just completed my final-year law exams at one of the London universities and have a vacation scheme at a Silver Circle firm scheduled for next month. However, the scheme will be at the firm's Hong Kong, rather than London, office. I applied to vacation schemes in both locations, but I only received an offer for Hong Kong, my hometown. My preference is to qualify as a solicitor in London.

My questions are:

1. In the case where I do receive a TC offer from the Hong Kong office after the vacation scheme, would it be possible to negotiate for a TC in the London office instead? My interview/AC (along with all preparatory communications) for the Hong Kong vacation scheme was carried out by the London office Graduate Recruitment Team, therefore I'm assuming recruitment for Hong Kong is also handled by the London office. Would this render transferring office a much easier task?

2. In the event that I fail to receive a TC offer after the scheme, could I ask to be considered for a London TC (or VS) instead?

3. If a fail to receive a TC offer, how valuable would it be to have a vacation scheme at a Silver Circle firm, albeit in a non-London office, on my CV when applying to future TCs in London?

Thanks!
1) It is unlikely you’ll be able to negotiate the transfer to a U.K. TC. It is more likely they will just transfer through for the U.K. opportunity and you’ll need to come through the recruitment process as normal. The recruitment processes tend to be slightly different in each region, and the firm will want to assess your motivations for opportunities in London which won’t have been assessed by your vac scheme. You’ll need to meet London partners etc and be assessed by them.

2) If you don’t convert, you’ll just need to reapply to the London office at the next application opportunity.

3) Yes - any such work experience can be valuable. You may just want to spend a little more effort explaining why you are now pursuing a career in London in your application though.

• 🏆
Reactions: AvniD and George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi all!

My questions are:

Thanks!
Hey @jason_w1028,

Welcome to the forum! I think that Jess has provided you with some great insights here.

Best of luck with your vacation scheme when you start too. I agree with Jess that having some legal experience on your CV, especially from a world-renowned firm, can only be a good thing!

Please feel free to reach out if you would like any thoughts ahead of, during or after your scheme too 🚀

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.