Vacation Scheme Logistics: What should I expect?

aa90210

Standard Member
Dec 30, 2019
Hello everyone,

I've got a winter VS coming up very soon, which will be the first one I ever attend. I've read through the past TCLA threads on how to prepare behaviourally, but I would really appreciate some perspective on what to expect logistically.

Pre-VS:
- Should I expect to receive an itinerary for the VS before the first day? Would it be appropriate to ask for one?
- Will I know who else is in my cohort, and are we expected to get in touch before the VS?
- The VS is in a different country, so I'll be living in a hotel for the two weeks. Is there anything other than the essentials that I should pack, e.g.: should I expect for there to be an active/outdoor social?

VS:
- What kind of tasks should I expect to be doing, and is there any way to prepare beyond the general commercial awareness prep?
- How booked up is the schedule outside of work hours and on the weekend in terms of socials?

I understand that it's probably best not to sweat the minor stuff, but I was curious and as this is my first VS I feel like I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks in advance :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello everyone,

I've got a winter VS coming up very soon, which will be the first one I ever attend. I've read through the past TCLA threads on how to prepare behaviourally, but I would really appreciate some perspective on what to expect logistically.

Pre-VS:
- Should I expect to receive an itinerary for the VS before the first day? Would it be appropriate to ask for one?
- Will I know who else is in my cohort, and are we expected to get in touch before the VS?
- The VS is in a different country, so I'll be living in a hotel for the two weeks. Is there anything other than the essentials that I should pack, e.g.: should I expect for there to be an active/outdoor social?

VS:
- What kind of tasks should I expect to be doing, and is there any way to prepare beyond the general commercial awareness prep?
- How booked up is the schedule outside of work hours and on the weekend in terms of socials?

I understand that it's probably best not to sweat the minor stuff, but I was curious and as this is my first VS I feel like I have no idea what to expect.

1) not necessarily, especially if it isn’t online. You might only get this information on your first day. I personally wouldn’t ask for one.

2) no - the firm would need to get approval from everyone that they are happy for their information to be shared. Some firms do this but you would know as you would get correspondence asking for whether you are happy for your information to be shared

3) the firm would tell you if you needed to bring anything out of the ordinary. If there was a social that required you to not be “dressed up”, I’d expect jeans/trainers to be the most you would need - the type of thing you’d wear at the weekend would be fine.

4) really depends on the department you will be sat in.

5) nothing will be booked for the weekend. There might be the occasional evening social, but the firm should tell you when they are. If the firm hasn’t provided this detail, you could ask them if there are any evenings you should block out for any social activities.

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell and Jaysen

aa90210

Standard Member
Dec 30, 2019
1) not necessarily, especially if it isn’t online. You might only get this information on your first day. I personally wouldn’t ask for one.

2) no - the firm would need to get approval from everyone that they are happy for their information to be shared. Some firms do this but you would know as you would get correspondence asking for whether you are happy for your information to be shared

3) the firm would tell you if you needed to bring anything out of the ordinary. If there was a social that required you to not be “dressed up”, I’d expect jeans/trainers to be the most you would need - the type of thing you’d wear at the weekend would be fine.

4) really depends on the department you will be sat in.

5) nothing will be booked for the weekend. There might be the occasional evening social, but the firm should tell you when they are. If the firm hasn’t provided this detail, you could ask them if there are any evenings you should block out for any social activities.
Thank you Jessica, this was really helpful!

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hello everyone,

Pre-VS:

VS:

@aa90210,

Firstly, congratulations. I really wish you the very best of luck. Do reach out if you would like any further help either before/during and/or after the scheme. We are all here to help!

Secondly, to add onto what @Jessica Booker said:

1. I personally would ask for this. I do not think it would hurt and it is a reasonable question to find out what you will be doing during your time at the firm! I was given an itinerary for all my schemes, although this was sometimes a few days before the scheme started!

2. I would not worry about getting in touch with people beforehand. For some of my schemes, people did get in touch beforehand, but you will be able to make connections during the scheme, so there really is no rush. Jessica is right though, this is up to the firm and whether or not they have asked to share your/others' contact information. If you are really keen to, have a quick search on LinkedIn!

3. This is a fair question to ask GR I think (could be at the same time as asking the questions in 1.). This is the sort of thing that I would have asked about, especially given your situation. As Jessica says though, I would not have thought that there would be an active/outdoor social unless you have already been told.

4. I actually wrote to GR and asked who was supervising me ahead of the scheme to ask them directly if there was anything that I could helpfully do to prepare ahead of the scheme. There never was, but it might be worth checking. In terms of resources to scan through, I would really recommend Jake Schogger's Training Contract Handbook. I used this during my schemes and is a useful term of reference. This is not necessary though and do not stress if you don't have time before your scheme!

5. I found that I was very busy during my schemes. However, my weekends were always free. I would expect you to have a couple of socials in the evening (maximum two/week), but in all likelihood it would be less than this. It depends on the firm, but I certainly did work beyond/outside of normal working hours some days to get work completed on time.

Thirdly, some additional thoughts

Try to enjoy it and be yourself. Everyone says this, but ultimately you have done incredibly well do get through to the scheme, so take confidence from that.

My biggest piece of advice is to grab this opportunity. Be enthusiastic and never turn your nose up at a task you are given. Be proactive and ask curious questions. Reach out to members of the firm who inspire you, or work in areas that you would like to know more about. Reflect on what you want to get out of the scheme too ahead of starting. I found this to be a helpful way of really making the most of my vacation schemes!

aa90210

Standard Member
Dec 30, 2019
@aa90210,

Firstly, congratulations. I really wish you the very best of luck. Do reach out if you would like any further help either before/during and/or after the scheme. We are all here to help!

Secondly, to add onto what @Jessica Booker said:

1. I personally would ask for this. I do not think it would hurt and it is a reasonable question to find out what you will be doing during your time at the firm! I was given an itinerary for all my schemes, although this was sometimes a few days before the scheme started!

2. I would not worry about getting in touch with people beforehand. For some of my schemes, people did get in touch beforehand, but you will be able to make connections during the scheme, so there really is no rush. Jessica is right though, this is up to the firm and whether or not they have asked to share your/others' contact information. If you are really keen to, have a quick search on LinkedIn!

3. This is a fair question to ask GR I think (could be at the same time as asking the questions in 1.). This is the sort of thing that I would have asked about, especially given your situation. As Jessica says though, I would not have thought that there would be an active/outdoor social unless you have already been told.

4. I actually wrote to GR and asked who was supervising me ahead of the scheme to ask them directly if there was anything that I could helpfully do to prepare ahead of the scheme. There never was, but it might be worth checking. In terms of resources to scan through, I would really recommend Jake Schogger's Training Contract Handbook. I used this during my schemes and is a useful term of reference. This is not necessary though and do not stress if you don't have time before your scheme!

5. I found that I was very busy during my schemes. However, my weekends were always free. I would expect you to have a couple of socials in the evening (maximum two/week), but in all likelihood it would be less than this. It depends on the firm, but I certainly did work beyond/outside of normal working hours some days to get work completed on time.

Thirdly, some additional thoughts

Try to enjoy it and be yourself. Everyone says this, but ultimately you have done incredibly well do get through to the scheme, so take confidence from that.

My biggest piece of advice is to grab this opportunity. Be enthusiastic and never turn your nose up at a task you are given. Be proactive and ask curious questions. Reach out to members of the firm who inspire you, or work in areas that you would like to know more about. Reflect on what you want to get out of the scheme too ahead of starting. I found this to be a helpful way of really making the most of my vacation schemes!
Thank you George for the great insight, perhaps it's worth an email asking grad rec what the plan is.

WIll definitely keep your advice in mind when I go into the VS! I'll do my best to keep an open mind :)

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell and AvniD

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Thank you George for the great insight, perhaps it's worth an email asking grad rec what the plan is.

WIll definitely keep your advice in mind when I go into the VS! I'll do my best to keep an open mind :)
@aa90210 (great name by the way!),

I am really glad that you found it helpful. Did you reach out to them in the end? When/if you hear back, please do let us know! I think it would be interesting to hear their reaction for future applicants!

As I said in my last messages, very best of luck! I am sure that you will smash it.

Be yourself, always take notes and be enthusiastic. 🚀

Reactions: Jaysen

aa90210

Standard Member
Dec 30, 2019
@aa90210 (great name by the way!),

I am really glad that you found it helpful. Did you reach out to them in the end? When/if you hear back, please do let us know! I think it would be interesting to hear their reaction for future applicants!

As I said in my last messages, very best of luck! I am sure that you will smash it.

Be yourself, always take notes and be enthusiastic. 🚀
Yes, we'll be receiving agendas the week before we start!

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.