Video Interview- Repeat Answers?

AI

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
Hi All!

I just had a query in terms of video interviews for VS/TCs.

In terms of a video interview question discussing 'why X firm', is it bad to repeat what you have said in your initial application, or should we introduce new answers as part of the question!

Thanks for reading this!

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    It is not bad to repeat the reasons you stated on your application. Just make sure it comes across naturally and you are giving more detail in your answers.

AI

Star Member
    Nov 3, 2020
    It is not bad to repeat the reasons you stated on your application. Just make sure it comes across naturally and you are giving more detail in your answers.
    Ah I see; thank you! Just to clarify, would it be bad if I said in the form of a list e.g. I would like to work at x firm for two mains reasons: firstly..., secondly... etc?

NatashaS98

Distinguished Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 30, 2022
    Hi @Aminah I, I would completely echo what @j.s.cox has said here. :)

I think structuring your answer in the form of a list would definitely be a good thing - it really helps in video interviews to have structure to your answer, as it helps highlight that you can present your ideas/perspective clearly. When you have such a limited timeframe to give your answer, it is all the more important to be succinct and impactful with the way you phrase things.

AI

Star Member
    Nov 3, 2020
    Hi @NatashaS98! Thank you for this response! Really beneficial! So if I had 2 minutes to answer a question about 'why x firm and why should we hire you', is it bad if I use those 2 minutes to give just 2 answers i.e. what inspired me to apply for x firm was its strength in insurance (discuss further); and you should hire me because I am a creative problem-solver (discuss further). Are those answers too small i.e. do I have to give further reasons or can I just stick with two points? I just don't want it to come across as if I am rushing during the VI.

Thanks!

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    I always jotted down up to 4 points to talk about on a post-it note. I would then try to talk about each experience as naturally as possible whilst the time counted down. After each experience, I would look at how much time I had left and decide if I would move on to the next point or wrap it up. I reckon anywhere between 2-4 points for an answer would work depending on the question and how much detail you can give comfortably and easily.

AI

Star Member
    Nov 3, 2020
    I always jotted down up to 4 points to talk about on a post-it note. I would then try to talk about each experience as naturally as possible whilst the time counted down. After each experience, I would look at how much time I had left and decide if I would move on to the next point or wrap it up. I reckon anywhere between 2-4 points for an answer would work depending on the question and how much detail you can give comfortably and easily.
    Perfect! @j.s.cox! Thanks so much for your help!

• 🤝
    Reactions: j.s.cox

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.