Video Interview with Irwin Mitchell

Ri

Feb 18, 2019
Hey everyone! I've just been invited to a Video Interview with IM, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice/insight into it? The grad recruitment website does not give any information about it, and so I'm wondering what kind of questions I should be preparing myself for.

Thanks for any help!

LJ96

Premium Member
Feb 29, 2020
Hey everyone! I've just been invited to a Video Interview with IM, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice/insight into it? The grad recruitment website does not give any information about it, and so I'm wondering what kind of questions I should be preparing myself for.

Thanks for any help!

same! How did yours go? Did you apply PLS or BLS?

NickMcK

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
There are three threads on this interview now and I did it on the 24.02.2020 so will share some tips I sent to someone directly:

Like Phoebe's interview (from the other thread) I had 4 questions, each with 30 seconds to prepare and 2 minutes to answer.

The four questions I had were these (paraphrased as I couldn't write them down during the interview):

1. Give us an example of when you needed to be flexible in a group situation. Why did you need to be flexible and how did you do this?

2. Give us an example of when you needed to show resilience and persevere through an overwhelming period of time? (this is a really hard question if you aren't prepped with an example! I used the fact I studied and worked at the same time).

3. When have you had to research an idea then put together a proposal and present this idea? How did you do that? (this is also a really hard question - If you are stuck for ideas then I would draw on literally anything in a job or group project you have done, or even in a society/sports team).

4. How would you sell the PLS to a client? (The wording they used was 'a client of the division you are applying to' - so I'm assuming this is the same question Phoebe had and one which everyone gets).

General tips for video interviews:
  1. Prep your set-up and what you will wear. E.g. I wore a suit as if it was a real interview and found the best place in my flat to do the interview (but still had to take down a few pictures to make sure I had a plain background behind me!).
  2. Prep your answers to standard competency questions. Things such as examples of working in a group, examples of research, examples of presenting ideas and examples of working through challenging situations.
  3. Prep answers to why Irwin Mitchell and why the PLS. I don't think you need answers to 'why law?' or 'why commercial law' but it wouldn't hurt just in case they spring these.
  4. Definitely prep answers in addition to the ones Phoebe and I have mentioned as I suspect many others could come up.
  5. I put together around 10-15 examples I could use into a few pages of A4 cheat sheets which I stuck up on the wall next to where I did the interview. This meant that during the 30 seconds to prep I could look over, pick one and then jot down some key points.
  6. I had only done 1 video interview before this with 90 seconds to answer each question so 2 minutes actually felt like quite a nice amount of time in comparison. 30 seconds however is very short to prep in - you need to have answers to pick from and then adapt them as it's not enough time to create something new.
  7. Learn the STAR method as this is crucial for keeping to time and keeping your answered focused.
  8. I found the hardest part was the timing. 2 minutes to answer a question can either be really short or really long. I would recommend testing out with a timer trying to talk for 2 minutes on various topics: what you had for breakfast? why commercial law? etc etc. So that answering a question in that time feels as natural as it can be and you really get a feel for that length of time.
  9. Then do some practising in front of your webcam. It's very cringey the first few times but then gets better. Try a few versions of 'How would you sell the PLS to a client' and you'll really see where you need to adapt. E.g. at first you may be spending too much time on Setting the scene and then not getting to the Results and wrapping up nicely. Also watch it back to check your posture, the webcam set up etc.
  10. This pdf from ULaw has 100 questions at the end - so try a test run with someone picking a few of these at random and then giving yourself the 30s to prep and 2 mins to answer - even if your initial answers are rubbish it will help alleviate the nervousness of having questions sprung on you: https://www.law.ac.uk/globalassets/13.-media--doc-repo/03.-employability/step/pdf_employability_step-8-resource-book.pdf
Tips for the PLS interview:
  1. My assumption is that the difference between the PLS and the BLS is the personal and individual nature of the services provided to PLS clients in comparison to BLS' corporate focus. I suspect they may be looking for this in terms of how you show listening, empathy and resilience skills. But - I don't know if I've passed it so don't hold me to that!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.