Video interviews - tips and tricks

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi all,

As promised, here are my top tips and tricks for video interviews. Please feel free to add any more below! If I think of any more myself I shall be sure to add them into this thread as well.

- Schedule the interview in your diary as you would a face-to-face one and be ready 15 mins early just as you would for an ordinary one too. It can help you to relax and get used to the situation when you have a few moments to just breathe and sip some water.

- Test your video and audio/connection ahead of time – Zoom is easily testable as you can ask a friend to send you an invite and get them to give you some feedback on how you sound/how you have positioned the camera. Try your best to do these tests if you can but obviously, firms will account for the fact things like signal strength can drop out etc on the day so don’t panic. Really try to avoid headphones with a mic - unless you constantly have the mic piece by your mouth these can be incredibly quiet.

- Always tidy your background or, better still, try to get a blank wall behind you as it can just look a bit more professional.

- Sit at a desk or table as this can make you also look more formal and forces your posture to be strong.

- Ensure your whole face is visible in the camera too. Your room of choice also needs to be well-lit so the interviewers can clearly see your face and expressions.

- Also, be sure that you will not have any background noise during the interview. Similarly, tell parents, siblings, partners, children etc that you have an interview and that you are not to be disturbed. We have all seen the infamous BBC clip, right guys?? This also goes for pets too; they can be crafty! Home appliances can also be common betrayals – make sure washing machines and dishwashers are not in use.

- Dress for a formal interview – this means blazers on and ties too. If you have long hair, try to pin it back or have it behind your ears so interviewers can clearly see your face.

- Have your laptop charger at the ready to plug in if you are running low during the interview!

- Ensure you have some water to sip – this can be handy for when you need to take a moment to think or simply for when your mouth feels dry from all the talking and adrenaline!

- Also, check the room temperature is going to be suitable for the whole interview.

- Turn off your notifications and turn off your phone – you do not want any distractions at all or anything which might throw you off your game.

- As weird as it can be, this is a normal conversation. Do not script your answers or deliver a pre-thought-out speech. Remember to pause, be measured and slow your pace. A clever thing you can do though is to have post-it notes with prompts on your laptop or on a wall behind it to help you during the interview. So, you could very briefly bullet on a post-it three reasons for ‘why the firm’ which can help you jog your memory.

- However, do not have notes written which you will look down at. Interviews are not ‘open book’ and you cannot take notes in and so treat these video interviews as such. The post-its are helpful reminders but not cheat sheets. The only time you should have notes or be referring to sheets is if you have been given a case study/article where you would be expected to refer to during an in-person interview.

- Possibly the most important advice is to SMILE and LOOK AT THE CAMERA, not yourself. This is so so important and integral to the way you will be judged for communication strength. You may feel silly and like a Cheshire cat, but when the camera is connecting at the start, make sure you are smiling and looking at the camera so that this is how you are first introduced. First impressions count the most and if you nail this it should help you feel confident for the rest of the interview!

- It isn’t the most natural way to communicate on a video link, but try to remember to think before you speak, take your time and mind your use of fillers like ‘umm’ and ‘like’. I am terrible for this and sometimes it is just frankly unavoidable, but try to be mindful of it, stop yourself, and pause instead.

- If you are someone who, like me, talks with their hands, be aware interviewers might not see this as easily, make sure you have set up your screen so that they can if this is a key way you choose to communicate. Though try not to overdo it on the hands so that it becomes distracting! Moreover, keep your shoulders back and have an open body language - try not to hunch or stoop your back. Really try to avoid fidgeting too - whilst they may not be able to see your hands directly - it can quite obvious when someone is tugging at a sleeve or something similar.

- If your signal or audio goes or something like that, be cool and be calm. Interviewers are always assessing how people respond to challenges and they are looking for resilience. Use a chat function if it is available like it is on Zoom to apologise and say you are trying to reconnect or something to that effect, and don’t forget to smile! These things happen, they are expected, but don’t let your reaction to things going wrong potentially cost you.

- All the normal rules apply - consider carefully what is being asked, ask to take a pause to gather your thoughts, and try to give an answer in the clearest and most concise way that you can (whilst ensuring they're fully developed and well-evidenced responses too though). Remember to speak slowly and in a measured way as mics on laptops can be tricky.

- My favourite trick for interviews generally is to pretend like you are speaking to family friends. Interviewers are human, they want you to succeed and they understand the pressure. The more you can get yourself into a positive and relaxed mindset the more you will let your personality shine.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I ought to note that when it comes to background noise or perhaps being able to sit at a desk and other tips, these might not be easy for everyone to achieve. If you would struggle to follow any of these tips, especially during this time of lockdown, do not hesitate to reach out to the firm and let them know about it. As @Jessica Booker has said, communication is key and it shows a great deal or proactivity and diligence on your part. Your circumstances will not be held against you and law firms are looking for those who identify problems and who try to solve them! :) I really hope this helps and if you have any questions, please do post into this thread!

Reactions: Helena

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
Thanks for this, super helpful.

Any tips for preparing for video interviews where you’re recording answers? In particular preparing/structuring an answer quickly (typically only have 30 seconds to a minute to compose yourself).

Thanks!

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thanks for this, super helpful.

Any tips for preparing for video interviews where you’re recording answers? In particular preparing/structuring an answer quickly (typically only have 30 seconds to a minute to compose yourself).

Thanks!
Good question.

I would try to practice on your phone or your laptop in advance so you can test and see how long the given time period is.

Utilise the time you have to prepare, note two solid points and the commercial evidence you can invoke to make it a knockout answer.

Preparation is key and doesn’t change in terms of whether it’s an in-person or a video interview, you need to prepare well to give yourself the best chance of not freezing up or not knowing how to answer something.

same as my advice above, start and end with a smile and have direct eye contact (camera contact!). This is half of what is truly being assessed in video interviews.

mindset is everything in these recorded interviews as the time adds extra pressure I think. Really try to do everything you can in the morning to remain calm and relaxed- this really is half the battle I tend to find :)

Reactions: Charles and Changes

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
My 2 cents on this:

1) Prepare well but not be obsessed. Typical questions are: why law (which is why commercial law) why this firm?, what are your skills (star method), why do you want to take part in this open day? Also, there might be strange questions like if you had a superpower..:)
2) Your answers need to be concise and should last around 1 minute or 1m and 30 secs max. I timed my answers and practice in front of a mirror and then in front of my laptop's webacm to appear as natural as possible.
3) I shut my cat outside the room..I felt horrible but I got the open day and he still loves me.
4) Give always practical example of the work you have done..why law..because x, y, z and experienced this at W firm.
5) Be as cool as a cucumber and smile but not in a creepy way.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
My 2 cents on this:

1) Prepare well but not be obsessed. Typical questions are: why law (which is why commercial law) why this firm?, what are your skills (star method), why do you want to take part in this open day? Also, there might be strange questions like if you had a superpower..:)
2) Your answers need to be concise and should last around 1 minute or 1m and 30 secs max. I timed my answers and practice in front of a mirror and then in front of my laptop's webacm to appear as natural as possible.
3) I shut my cat outside the room..I felt horrible but I got the open day and he still loves me.
4) Give always practical example of the work you have done..why law..because x, y, z and experienced this at W firm.
Number three :D I’m glad your cat didn’t take it too personally and sure they’re proud you got the open day! :D :D

• 🤝
Reactions: Erin, S87 and Daniel Boden

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
Hi all,

As promised, here are my top tips and tricks for video interviews. Please feel free to add any more below! If I think of any more myself I shall be sure to add them into this thread as well.

- Schedule the interview in your diary as you would a face-to-face one and be ready 15 mins early just as you would for an ordinary one too. It can help you to relax and get used to the situation when you have a few moments to just breathe and sip some water.

- Test your video and audio/connection ahead of time – Zoom is easily testable as you can ask a friend to send you an invite and get them to give you some feedback on how you sound/how you have positioned the camera. Try your best to do these tests if you can but obviously, firms will account for the fact things like signal strength can drop out etc on the day so don’t panic. Really try to avoid headphones with a mic - unless you constantly have the mic piece by your mouth these can be incredibly quiet.

- Always tidy your background or, better still, try to get a blank wall behind you as it can just look a bit more professional.

- Sit at a desk or table as this can make you also look more formal and forces your posture to be strong.

- Ensure your whole face is visible in the camera too. Your room of choice also needs to be well-lit so the interviewers can clearly see your face and expressions.

- Also, be sure that you will not have any background noise during the interview. Similarly, tell parents, siblings, partners, children etc that you have an interview and that you are not to be disturbed. We have all seen the infamous BBC clip, right guys?? This also goes for pets too; they can be crafty! Home appliances can also be common betrayals – make sure washing machines and dishwashers are not in use.

- Dress for a formal interview – this means blazers on and ties too. If you have long hair, try to pin it back or have it behind your ears so interviewers can clearly see your face.

- Have your laptop charger at the ready to plug in if you are running low during the interview!

- Ensure you have some water to sip – this can be handy for when you need to take a moment to think or simply for when your mouth feels dry from all the talking and adrenaline!

- Also, check the room temperature is going to be suitable for the whole interview.

- Turn off your notifications and turn off your phone – you do not want any distractions at all or anything which might throw you off your game.

- As weird as it can be, this is a normal conversation. Do not script your answers or deliver a pre-thought-out speech. Remember to pause, be measured and slow your pace. A clever thing you can do though is to have post-it notes with prompts on your laptop or on a wall behind it to help you during the interview. So, you could very briefly bullet on a post-it three reasons for ‘why the firm’ which can help you jog your memory.

- However, do not have notes written which you will look down at. Interviews are not ‘open book’ and you cannot take notes in and so treat these video interviews as such. The post-its are helpful reminders but not cheat sheets. The only time you should have notes or be referring to sheets is if you have been given a case study/article where you would be expected to refer to during an in-person interview.

- Possibly the most important advice is to SMILE and LOOK AT THE CAMERA, not yourself. This is so so important and integral to the way you will be judged for communication strength. You may feel silly and like a Cheshire cat, but when the camera is connecting at the start, make sure you are smiling and looking at the camera so that this is how you are first introduced. First impressions count the most and if you nail this it should help you feel confident for the rest of the interview!

- It isn’t the most natural way to communicate on a video link, but try to remember to think before you speak, take your time and mind your use of fillers like ‘umm’ and ‘like’. I am terrible for this and sometimes it is just frankly unavoidable, but try to be mindful of it, stop yourself, and pause instead.

- If you are someone who, like me, talks with their hands, be aware interviewers might not see this as easily, make sure you have set up your screen so that they can if this is a key way you choose to communicate. Though try not to overdo it on the hands so that it becomes distracting! Moreover, keep your shoulders back and have an open body language - try not to hunch or stoop your back. Really try to avoid fidgeting too - whilst they may not be able to see your hands directly - it can quite obvious when someone is tugging at a sleeve or something similar.

- If your signal or audio goes or something like that, be cool and be calm. Interviewers are always assessing how people respond to challenges and they are looking for resilience. Use a chat function if it is available like it is on Zoom to apologise and say you are trying to reconnect or something to that effect, and don’t forget to smile! These things happen, they are expected, but don’t let your reaction to things going wrong potentially cost you.

- All the normal rules apply - consider carefully what is being asked, ask to take a pause to gather your thoughts, and try to give an answer in the clearest and most concise way that you can (whilst ensuring they're fully developed and well-evidenced responses too though). Remember to speak slowly and in a measured way as mics on laptops can be tricky.

- My favourite trick for interviews generally is to pretend like you are speaking to family friends. Interviewers are human, they want you to succeed and they understand the pressure. The more you can get yourself into a positive and relaxed mindset the more you will let your personality shine.

Alice G is a champion!:). Thanks for delivering the article as promised, much appreciation and it's useful

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    To also add to the above, so many candidates struggle with video interviews because of a lack of practice. Just like anything, if you've never practiced it before, you'll likely struggle with timing, feel nervous and lack composure.

If you want to get 'good' at video interviews - or at least find them easier - try to simulate a video interview session as best as possible (even if it's just recording yourself with a limited time to answer unexpected questions). While you can't know what questions will come up, if you do this enough times, you should hopefully be able to stay composed and confident when answering difficult questions.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    My 2 cents on this:

I have lost found how many cats I have seen on video interviews. They like laptops :D

That or dogs barking....

Jerome

Dec 1, 2020
    Hi I have a VI with Mischon this week and was wondering what kind of questions they may ask. Will it be like competency questions and why this firm? I have only had 2 other VI before and was unsuccessful first time round and successful second time so I am still unsure of how to fully impress

Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

Legendary Member
  • Nov 26, 2019
    Hi I have a VI with Mischon this week and was wondering what kind of questions they may ask. Will it be like competency questions and why this firm? I have only had 2 other VI before and was unsuccessful first time round and successful second time so I am still unsure of how to fully impress

I did one back in 2017 with Mishcon..I do remember some of the questions - it was ‘tell me about yourself, how does your friends and family describe you, what do you enjoy doing in your free time, how do you react to new information, how would you negotiate with someone? .. I hope this helps. It might not be the same questions but at least something you can prepare if you wish to do so..

PaolaEccles

Standard Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    Oh my goodness, than you soo much! I am really not so good at the video intereviews. Always neverous too much. Always want to produce a better impression than I actually represent. Perhaps this is why I look a bit strained and most of my interviews failed.

Reactions: ducknowl

scartiller

Oct 14, 2021
    Good question.

I would try to practice on your phone or your laptop in advance so you can test and see how long the given time period is.

Utilise the time you have to prepare, note two solid points and the commercial evidence you can invoke to make it a knockout answer.

Preparation is key and doesn’t change in terms of whether it’s an in-person or a video interview, you need to prepare well to give yourself the best chance of not freezing up or not knowing how to answer something.

same as my advice above, start and end with a smile and have direct eye contact (camera contact!). This is half of what is truly being assessed in video interviews.

mindset is everything in these recorded interviews as the time adds extra pressure I think. Really try to do everything you can in the morning to remain calm and relaxed- this really is half the battle I tend to find :)
    Hi Alice, thank you for this! I find that I'm talking so fast to fit in all my points for the motivational questions. Any tips? It's confusing because I have not been told how many seconds I have to answer the question in the prior emails. (why comm law, why this firm). Any feedback will be appreciated! Also, do they really care too much about the content then?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Alice, thank you for this! I find that I'm talking so fast to fit in all my points for the motivational questions. Any tips? It's confusing because I have not been told how many seconds I have to answer the question in the prior emails. (why comm law, why this firm). Any feedback will be appreciated! Also, do they really care too much about the content then?
    They will definitely care about the content - they wouldn’t ask you the question otherwise.

I would just prioritise your motivations. Explaining 2-3 points is possible in a 90 second video interview. You can always say at the end the other factors that also that interest you without going into the type of detail/explanation of your first (and most important) 2-3 points

Reactions: scartiller

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi @scartiller just to add to @Jessica Booker 's great advice-

I struggled with talking too fast as well- you're not alone! Two things really helped with that. First- I'd use a pen and paper to jot down 2-3 points I really wanted to mention and then create a mental structure for my answers. Second- once I'd created some sort of a structure, my focus would shift to my delivery and, importantly, maintaining an even tone. Doing this allowed me to not sound rushed (even if I felt rushed 😅) and finish an answer well even if I missed a point. I'd recommend practising with another person so they can help you pick up on when you're sounding rushed and practice recovering to an even tone.

I hope this helps!

scartiller

Oct 14, 2021
    They will definitely care about the content - they wouldn’t ask you the question otherwise.

I would just prioritise your motivations. Explaining 2-3 points is possible in a 90 second video interview. You can always say at the end the other factors that also that interest you without going into the type of detail/explanation of your first (and most important) 2-3 points
    Thank you so much!

scartiller

Oct 14, 2021
    Hi @scartiller just to add to @Jessica Booker 's great advice-

I struggled with talking too fast as well- you're not alone! Two things really helped with that. First- I'd use a pen and paper to jot down 2-3 points I really wanted to mention and then create a mental structure for my answers. Second- once I'd created some sort of a structure, my focus would shift to my delivery and, importantly, maintaining an even tone. Doing this allowed me to not sound rushed (even if I felt rushed 😅) and finish an answer well even if I missed a point. I'd recommend practising with another person so they can help you pick up on when you're sounding rushed and practice recovering to an even tone.

I hope this helps!
    Thank you so much!

Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.