Virtual Case Studies

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
Hi everyone, I have a virtual AC coming up and was wondering if anyone had any tips for going through case study documents on a screen (as I assume that is how it will work?). I am very much the kind of person who likes to go through physical copies of documents and be able to highlight and use post-it’s throughout to flag things so that it’s easier for me to spot. Does anyone have any advice on how to work around this?

Reactions: KamTM and dosblancos7

hktr

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 10, 2019
Hi everyone, I have a virtual AC coming up and was wondering if anyone had any tips for going through case study documents on a screen (as I assume that is how it will work?). I am very much the kind of person who likes to go through physical copies of documents and be able to highlight and use post-it’s throughout to flag things so that it’s easier for me to spot. Does anyone have any advice on how to work around this?

Hi there - had to do a virtual case study of the kind you described and it was definitely trickier than normal!
My two-cents: firstly, be really strict with yourself in terms of how you manage your time. Case studies are generally tight for time anyway, but without the ability to highlight things/needing to click between different docs, you can find yourself getting bogged down. Secondly, after a very quick once-over, I'd say just dive in and type up the written exercise/your notes for the interview as you go through each document (depending on what kind of case study it is). That way you won't need to keep cross-referring between the different docs.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Thanks for creating this thread, I too would like to see some replies!

I have only had one virtual AC, and it was a case study administered verbally, but I did write my notes on Word and read it of that. I apologised for doing so, but my assessors said it was fine, and to be expected!

I am also with you re highlighting! In my AC, there were several documents, where I highlighted and once I switched documents, the highlighted aspects went :(, so be prepped for this(could differ based on software!)

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
Hi there - had to do a virtual case study of the kind you described and it was definitely trickier than normal!
My two-cents: firstly, be really strict with yourself in terms of how you manage your time. Case studies are generally tight for time anyway, but without the ability to highlight things/needing to click between different docs, you can find yourself getting bogged down. Secondly, after a very quick once-over, I'd say just dive in and type up the written exercise/your notes for the interview as you go through each document (depending on what kind of case study it is). That way you won't need to keep cross-referring between the different docs.

Thanks for creating this thread, I too would like to see some replies!

I have only had one virtual AC, and it was a case study administered verbally, but I did write my notes on Word and read it of that. I apologised for doing so, but my assessors said it was fine, and to be expected!

I am also with you re highlighting! In my AC, there were several documents, where I highlighted and once I switched documents, the highlighted aspects went :(, so be prepped for this(could differ based on software!)
Thank you both!! Using word to type up notes sounds like a good idea actually - my notes would probably end up being incoherent if I was trying to rush haha.

Reactions: dosblancos7

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.