Visa and Vac Schemes

M&M

• Oct 22, 2020
    Hi everyone!

I am an international student and a recent law graduate. I am currently working on securing a TC but my visa is going to expire soon so I won't be able to do vac schemes. I am worried because I heard that some firms recruit predominantly through vac schemes and was wondering if this would put me at a disadvantage? I hope to do work experience in my home country to build my CV so will that help my direct TC application?

I was also wondering if firms that only recruit through vac schemes would accommodate me? If anyone has experience with this, I'd really appreciate your input.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone!

I am an international student and a recent law graduate. I am currently working on securing a TC but my visa is going to expire soon so I won't be able to do vac schemes. I am worried because I heard that some firms recruit predominantly through vac schemes and was wondering if this would put me at a disadvantage? I hope to do work experience in my home country to build my CV so will that help my direct TC application?

I was also wondering if firms that only recruit through vac schemes would accommodate me? If anyone has experience with this, I'd really appreciate your input.
    If you graduated this summer, you could consider applying for a post-graduate visa - gives you the right to work in the UK for up to 2 years after graduation.

M&M

• Oct 22, 2020
    If you graduated this summer, you could consider applying for a post-graduate visa - gives you the right to work in the UK for up to 2 years after graduation.
    Thank you for your reply! I looked into that but I am planning on doing an LLM in September 2022 so I thought it would be a waste to convert to a graduate route now because you can only apply for it once and it is quite expensive.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for your reply! I looked into that but I am planning on doing an LLM in September 2022 so I thought it would be a waste to convert to a graduate route now because you can only apply for it once and it is quite expensive.
    Ah ok.

if a firm recruits exclusively or heavily from vacation schemes it is going to be difficult for them to accommodate you. There is no harm contacting them directly to ask though.

Reactions: M&M

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.