Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Sad The Office GIF

sabma

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 22, 2018
    Bit of a random q but technically is the Watson Glaser meant to be done under exam conditions? as in, are you allowed to have a tip sheet/hint sheet in front of you? I know most do but I'm just double checking just incase it's something that you're not really meant to do

Zoo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 21, 2019
    Bit of a random q but technically is the Watson Glaser meant to be done under exam conditions? as in, are you allowed to have a tip sheet/hint sheet in front of you? I know most do but I'm just double checking just incase it's something that you're not really meant to do
    You can have a sheet in front of you! The sheets are essentially just a more detailed explanation than you're given in the actual test before each section. This one looks like a great one to use too

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD and Daniel Boden

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Would highly recommend having your notes/a tip sheet in front of you so that you can apply everything you've picked up from practice to the real test! The only exception to this is if the firm specifically states that you should do the test under exam conditions, which I think is highly unlikely.

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Would highly recommend having your notes/a tip sheet in front of you so that you can apply everything you've picked up from practice to the real test! The only exception to this is if the firm specifically states that you should do the test under exam conditions, which I think is highly unlikely.

I absolutely agree with @AvniD here, I found it really useful to be able to glance at a piece of paper with the relevant rules/considerations for each section whilst doing the test. I was personally never asked to do it without notes 🤷‍♂️

From a glance this document seems fantastic @Daniel Boden!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    Hi all,

As discussed, here's a WG cheat/hint document a friend and I put together which hopefully you will find helpful!

Obviously, feel free to adapt and change it as you see fit so it works best for you.

Good luck!
    Dan
    Firstly, thanks for doing this, you're a legend.
    Secondly, and at risk of showing just how bad I am at WGs, can someone explain why this is 'conclusion follows'?
    Example:

All Real Estate assets are either very large or located in central areas but not both. While no apartment is without air-conditioning, all air-conditioned Real Estate assets are very large.

Real Estate Assets that are located in central areas are not apartments.

Conclusion follows.

Real-estate assets = A, very large = B, located in a central area = C, apartment = D, air conditioning = E.

According to the premises, (A -> B/C), (no D -> ~E), which means (D -> E), and (A+E -> B).

The conclusion states (A + C -> ~D).

If (A+E -> B), and (D -> E), then (D -> B) (because D is a subgroup of A). And since (A -> B/C), that means every A that is not B but C cannot be D.

In other words:
    If all air-conditioned real-estate assets are very large, and all apartments are air conditioned, then all apartments are very large (because apartments are a subgroup of real-estate assets). And since no real-estate asset can be both very large and located in a central area, then this RE asset cannot be very large, as it is in a central area and it cannot be both. As you have concluded that all apartments are very large and this RE asset cannot be very large, then it is not an apartment.

I don't understand this because nothing to me suggests that Real Estate Assets that are located in central areas are not apartments. It follows that:
    - All Real Estate Assets are either very large
    - OR they are located in central areas (and not large)
    - They are not both.
    - No apartment is without air con (all apartments have air con)
    - All Real Estate assets (including apartments I guess) that have air con are very large.

The only conclusion I get from this is that, Real Estate Assets that are in central areas will not have air conditioning, not that small assets cannot be apartments. Conclusion does not follow. Nothing tells me that Real Estate Assets that are in central areas are not apartments because there's no mention that apartments cannot be small assets?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.