James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Any assistance in relation to preparing for the Assumptions and Inferences parts of the test would be greatly appreciated!
Hi @shharia - I think the best advice is to do as much practice as possible! JobTestPrep has paid resources and explanations for Watson Glaser questions whilst individual firms (e.g. Clifford Chance) have free practice WG tests on their website

Reactions: TCG

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Assumptions are more straightforward than inferences in my opinion. For recognising assumptions, you just have to get your mind around the core premises upon which the statement lies. There are usually very few of these - something which may be assumed but is not absolutely necessary to the truth of the statement will not be considered an assumption...it is a binary test. You really do not need to bring in outside knowledge for this - the statement in question could be complete nonsense but still contain key assumptions that you should be able to recognise.

Inferences involve a little more intuition - the hardest distinction to be made is probably between 'Insufficient Data' and 'Probably False'. I have found that occasionally the answer relies upon a basic understanding/outside knowledge of the concepts mentioned in the question.

For example, in an assumptions question, I would not assume that a parent cares about their children unless the statement specifically assumes that. In an inferences question, I would probably assume that this is the case in order to make an inference about whatever question is being asked. Because inferences are not testing whether the assumptions made are watertight and instead tend to address broader questions, it is okay to take some very basic outside knowledge about the role of a parent, for example, into consideration.

Last edited:

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
I would also mention with regard to the Deduction and Interpretation sections that there is a tricky distinction to be made between the two which many candidates will miss. For the Deductions section, the conclusion must 'follow necessarily' whilst for the Interpretations section the conclusion only needs to 'follow beyond reasonable doubt', per the instructions to the Watson Glaser. There is a higher bar for conclusions to follow in the Deductions section.

JusticeJo

Oct 7, 2021
Are Deductions the same as Draw Conclusions, please?
What tips do you have into drawing correct conclusions?
Did the first WGT practice a month ago for the very first time. This evening, tried a second time (Pearson Ed. one) and my overall score has improved but on drawing conclusions remained exactly the same. I do watch videos on WGT tutorials often.
I received an email today stating that my application was successful at this stage and that I have 5 days to complete the WGT.
Any hints or tips would be very kindly appreciated.

Joana B.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Are Deductions the same as Draw Conclusions, please?
What tips do you have into drawing correct conclusions?
Did the first WGT practice a month ago for the very first time. This evening, tried a second time (Pearson Ed. one) and my overall score has improved but on drawing conclusions remained exactly the same. I do watch videos on WGT tutorials often.
I received an email today stating that my application was successful at this stage and that I have 5 days to complete the WGT.
Any hints or tips would be very kindly appreciated.

Joana B.
Deductions are a type of conclusion that your draw from a given statement. Deductions involve logical analysis of the statment, whereas interpretations (the other form of 'draw conclusions' in the WG) require you to demonstrate your understanding of the statement. The line between the two is fine but becomes more apparent with practice.

I really like how this post breaks down the different components of the WG and I believe this will help with understanding them better before you practice- https://digestiblenotes.com/law/legal_guides/watson-glaser.php

Including my best tips for the WG-
  • Build an instinct for critical thinking- You can only achieve this through practice, practice, practice! I do not believe you need to buy tests to do this, free tests should suffice.
  • Crack the code- develop a pattern for your tests that helps you understand how to answer them. Try writing down the things you're looking out for in each test and use and build on your notes every time you practice so that you get closer to acing the WG.
  • Look out for logical fallacies- remember that correlation is not the same causation (for example, I'm ill and it's December is not the same as I'm ill because it's December!) and read up on red herring and straw man arguments as these regularly feature in WGs.
  • Be mentally prepared- take the test when you're relatively well-rested and know you won't be disturbed or rushed. Try not to practice too much on the day of the WG as well so that you approach it with a fresh perspective!
I hope this helps! Congratulations and all the best for your WG test- rooting for you! 🥳

JusticeJo

Oct 7, 2021
Deductions are a type of conclusion that your draw from a given statement. Deductions involve logical analysis of the statment, whereas interpretations (the other form of 'draw conclusions' in the WG) require you to demonstrate your understanding of the statement. The line between the two is fine but becomes more apparent with practice.

I really like how this post breaks down the different components of the WG and I believe this will help with understanding them better before you practice- https://digestiblenotes.com/law/legal_guides/watson-glaser.php

• Build an instinct for critical thinking- You can only achieve this through practice, practice, practice! I do not believe you need to buy tests to do this, free tests should suffice.
  • Crack the code- develop a pattern for your tests that helps you understand how to answer them. Try writing down the things you're looking out for in each test and use and build on your notes every time you practice so that you get closer to acing the WG.
  • Look out for logical fallacies- remember that correlation is not the same causation (for example, I'm ill and it's December is not the same as I'm ill because it's December!) and read up on red herring and straw man arguments as these regularly feature in WGs.
  • Be mentally prepared- take the test when you're relatively well-rested and know you won't be disturbed or rushed. Try not to practice too much on the day of the WG as well so that you approach it with a fresh perspective!
I hope this helps! Congratulations and all the best for your WG test- rooting for you! 🥳
Thank you ever so much for explaining the differences between them. I find the information you've provided very clear. 🙂

Reactions: AvniD

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
Thank you ever so much for explaining the differences between them. I find the information you've provided very clear. 🙂
I would just add on this that what I find the hardest about the WG is having to check your own knowledge and assumptions at the door. You have to be very aware to only take the information that is provided to you in the statement, regardless of what you might know about the subject!

JusticeJo

Oct 7, 2021
No problem at all- please let me know if you need any other help! 😊
When we come across a fallacy in the argument, would the deduction be automatically a weak argument? For instance, in a faulty analogy? Thank you. I have to do the real test by Saturday and have been learning about how to identify these logical fallacies as so many advised it. This would aid me in to understanding deductions better. I never thought I would be selected (impostor's syndrome) and now have 4 days to improve even better my score. Stronger at evaluating arguments and weaker at drawing conclusions.
I do appreciate your advice and time.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
When we come across a fallacy in the argument, would the deduction be automatically a weak argument? For instance, in a faulty analogy? Thank you. I have to do the real test by Saturday and have been learning about how to identify these logical fallacies as so many advised it. This would aid me in to understanding deductions better. I never thought I would be selected (impostor's syndrome) and now have 4 days to improve even better my score. Stronger at evaluating arguments and weaker at drawing conclusions.
I do appreciate your advice and time.
Fallacies weaken a conclusion or argument, for sure. But the extent depends on phrasing. Write down every time you spot a logical fallacy in a question so that you can look out for them in future practice/real tests.

Imposter syndrome is so real! I'd be *shocked* every time I'd progress to the next stage in an application process, completely discounting all the effort I'd put in for months and months. Please know that you are doing SO well by posting here for advice and practising with clear goals in mind! 👏👏👏

Reactions: JusticeJo

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021

There is some fantastic help listed here. Wish I had seen this when I was applying!

Just purely from my experience:

I personally found that free resources were not enough and really benefitted from AssessmentDay's resources (from memory the Watson Glaser pack isn't too expensive). I also used JobTestPrep. The way I looked at it, these expenses are negligible compared to what you will earn if successful. I do know others who did not need extra resources though so this is absolutely not necessary.

Incidentally, before it was a TCLA course (it now is called "Beating the Watson Glaser Test" for TCLA premium users), I completed Joe Mallet's Watson Glaser Masterclass (which was honestly invaluable).

Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.