Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

An anonymous candidate sent me over these practice questions for the Watson Glaser Test which they found publicly available online. In the spirit of sharing this information with everyone, I thought I'd post it publicly here.

While there are no answers to the questions (aside from the practice questions), hopefully this will be useful as a form of further practice.

Best,

Jaysen

Attachments

• 1126.pdf
      845 KB · Views: 2,021

Ashleyev

Standard Member
    Jun 28, 2020
    Hi! I'm 17 and have applied for the Clifford Chance PRIME work experience programme, which requires you to take the WG. I have taken the CC practise test, which I rushed as it is late, in order to get a feel for the questions. I actually got 100% in evaluating arguments, 75% in drawing conclusions, but only 25% in recognising assumptions, giving me an overall score of 70%. I've seen you in a lot of these posts so I'm assuming you can help lol, but please could you explain, or point me in the direction of somewhere that will, the assumptions section because I am lost.

Reactions: nehasunil88

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi! I'm 17 and have applied for the Clifford Chance PRIME work experience programme, which requires you to take the WG. I have taken the CC practise test, which I rushed as it is late, in order to get a feel for the questions. I actually got 100% in evaluating arguments, 75% in drawing conclusions, but only 25% in recognising assumptions, giving me an overall score of 70%. I've seen you in a lot of these posts so I'm assuming you can help lol, but please could you explain, or point me in the direction of somewhere that will, the assumptions section because I am lost.
    Hey there,
    I’ve just seen @Jessica Booker posted the answer to your question in another thread with lots of helpful links so I hope that helps you :)

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hello, I have taken a practice Watson Glaser test on CMS's (the practice test seems to be the same for a few firms) website which I am applying to and it wasnt so bad- my overall mark was 78%. TI have then taken another test from my universities graduate site and it was much much harder! The text was 4x as long with more irrelevant info and more sophisticated topics. I got 60% and 0% on assumptions.

Which test should I expect in the real thing?
    The CMS one (and Clifford Chance) are pretty much identical to the real thing!

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
    Aug 8, 2020
    Does anyone know if the Evaluate Arguments section always has one Argument Strong and one Argument Weak answer for each passage? I've obtained my reports from several WG tests and that seems to be the case. Is this possibly also true in any of the conclusions/assumptions sections?

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    Does the Watson Glaser consider time into account when evaluating performance and determining your percentiles? I've taken a lot of the free unofficial exams I could find and those do take timing into account. But I'm not sure if the official ones firms give do.

Amy_22

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 15, 2020
    The CMS one (and Clifford Chance) are pretty much identical to the real thing!

Hi Olivia

I took the Clifford Chance practice test today and scored 75%, however, it didn't mention percentile. I am due to take the Linklaters WG and BCLP also have an online test (but this isn't specified as the WG yet), have you taken the Linklaters WG and would you say the practice tests given by law firms are more accurate to the actual test compared to other free resources, such as the website assessementday?

Thanks

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi Olivia

I took the Clifford Chance practice test today and scored 75%, however, it didn't mention percentile. I am due to take the Linklaters WG and BCLP also have an online test (but this isn't specified as the WG yet), have you taken the Linklaters WG and would you say the practice tests given by law firms are more accurate to the actual test compared to other free resources, such as the website assessementday?

Thanks
    Percentile will be specific to who took the test as it will compare you with every other candidate who takes the test for them. Percentile will also take into account the time you took to complete the test, and different firms will weight time differently.

The Clifford Chance practice test has been identical to WGs I've taken for Linklaters, CMS and Bird & Bird. Some questions are even the same!

Also, BCLP stated at an open day that their test will be a situational judgement test! :)

Amy_22

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 15, 2020
    Thank you for clarifying, the WG is new to me.

Wow, that's helpful to know! I will keep practising and take the Linklaters WG soon. Did you complete the Linklaters CAPP assessment and WG within the time limit? I've seen some people say they took regular breaks during the test.

That's fab news about BCLP, thanks! :)

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Thank you for clarifying, the WG is new to me.

Wow, that's helpful to know! I will keep practising and take the Linklaters WG soon. Did you complete the Linklaters CAPP assessment and WG within the time limit? I've seen some people say they took regular breaks during the test.

That's fab news about BCLP, thanks! :)
    I just did it all in one go, and within the time limit! I didn't progress past the tests but I didn't expect to tbh as I can't understand what they're looking for - but worth applying anyway!

al2020

Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Jul 5, 2020
    Came across these in my practice and a bit stuck! What would you say for two questions (from same statement) from Watson Glaser Test?

Statement: "People should not expect the best medical attention rather than the mediocre if they are not willing to invest their own resources in paying for it."

Proposed assumptions:
    1) People expect good quality medical support (made or not made??)

2) Some free medical services are not the best (made or not made??)

(1) Assumption not made
    (2) Assumption made

Zoo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 21, 2019
    Came across these in my practice and a bit stuck! What would you say for two questions (from same statement) from Watson Glaser Test?

Statement: "People should not expect the best medical attention rather than the mediocre if they are not willing to invest their own resources in paying for it."

Proposed assumptions:

I posted this on the other thread but thought I'd post it here too. There's a great YouTube video by Idin Sabahipour explaining his strategy for tackling the WG:

F1_Legal

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 16, 2020

Proposed assumptions:

This came up in my real exam ahahah!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: AlRJ and Jaysen

NextStageOfTheApplication

Distinguished Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Nov 12, 2020
    An anonymous candidate sent me over these practice questions for the Watson Glaser Test which they found publicly available online. In the spirit of sharing this information with everyone, I thought I'd post it publicly here.

While there are no answers to the questions (aside from the practice questions), hopefully this will be useful as a form of further practice.

Best,

Jaysen

Thanks for sharing, Jaysen. Do you happen to have the answers for the practice tests please?

Reactions: Lisa Lowe

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.