Watson Glaser Tips and Tricks?

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hi guys,

I have a WG test coming up in a few days and haven't practiced any since quite early on in the year as I had to change my focus from law apps to uni work.

I've never been amazing at the tests, as I have a slight learning disability. I think the highest score I ever got was in the 70s, but that was on JobTestPrep and one that I had taken before about 6 or 7 months prior already. In real tests, I've scored between 54% and 60% which is not great, but has just about made the grade for some firms.

Would anyone be willing to share some tips that helped them succeed at the test?

Thanks

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I have this book

https://www.amazon.com/Critical-Thi...ecome+critical+thinking&qid=1595330843&sr=8-1

I found it really really useful! I’m not sure why it’s as expensive as this- might be worth shopping about slightly but I’d recommend investing in a good book like this as opposed to buying tests. I only ever used a book and free tests and I found this was enough for me personally :) practice does make perfect and using books like this to understand the logic which drives the various sections of the test.

good luck! :) :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Ibrahim

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    My absolute top recommendation is to go and do the practice tests you can do on the Clifford Chance website, or similar. But, ensure they are from the provider that the firms use (I think its PersonVue? Whatever is on the CC Practice test).

I did so many of these through the application cycle that the same questions started to be asked. You will become very familiar with the paragraph and I found that every time I read it, I would note something different and adopt a stronger view. I never considered myself great at these, but, I have never fallen at the WG hurdle of the application.

Best of luck!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For anyone with a disability, you have to ensure you ask for any reasonable adjustments to these tests. It is pretty easy for any employer to apply things like additional time if this is an appropriate reasonable adjustment for you.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    I just took the Watson Glaser on Clifford Chance's website and my scores are the following:
    total score- 58%
    recognising assumptions- 62%
    evaluating arguments- 50%
    drawing conclusions- 58%
    This was my first watson glaser test ever with no practise, how are these scores, I mean definitely there is always scope for improvement and I will continue practising these but I want to know what boat I'm in right now
    Would be great if I could have your inputs

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I just took the Watson Glaser on Clifford Chance's website and my scores are the following:
    total score- 58%
    drawing conclusions- 58%
    This was my first watson glaser test ever with no practise, how are these scores, I mean definitely there is always scope for improvement and I will continue practising these but I want to know what boat I'm in right now

it’s difficult to know as they are percentages and yet firms set percentiles as benchmarks instead. This means they just take you percentage score (possibly with other factors) and then rank it against other people who have taken the test.

This means your 58% percentage could be a high percentile if ranked against a lower performing group (let’s say interns) but could be a lower percentile if ranked against a high performing group (let’s say partners).

Generally I would say a percentage of around 65-75% if probably a safer bet - but that’s making some pretty poor assumptions and generalisations (which is why I am useless at WG tests!).

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    total score- 58%
    drawing conclusions- 58%

Really good scores for your first try but I would keep practising. I usually average between 80 and 90% on the Clifford Chance Watson Glaser test and I was ranked in the 65th percentile for the Linklaters Watson Glaser and 88th percentile for Hogan Lovells when I took live tests, evidencing Jessica's point about your ranking being different for each firm/intake etc.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Sim96

Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jul 11, 2020
    I have this book

https://www.amazon.com/Critical-Thi...ecome+critical+thinking&qid=1595330843&sr=8-1

I found it really really useful! I’m not sure why it’s as expensive as this- might be worth shopping about slightly but I’d recommend investing in a good book like this as opposed to buying tests. I only ever used a book and free tests and I found this was enough for me personally :) practice does make perfect and using books like this to understand the logic which drives the various sections of the test.

good luck! :) :)

Thanks Alice. Is this e-copy (https://www.how2become.com/wp-conte.../2018/01/Critical-Thinking-Tests-Workbook.pdf) the same as the paperback you purchased? Thank you

Sim96

Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jul 11, 2020

s.k.o

Star Member
    Jan 14, 2019
    Hi guys,

Just struggling with a WG assumption question, please would love your opinions.

Statement: If you don't believe me, I'll prove it to you logically"

Proposed Assumptions:

- Logical proof will cause you to alter your belief about the matter under discussion.

- What I present as logical proof will influence your thinking

I'll be grateful if anyone can share their thoughts on if assumptions are made or not

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    not sure if this thread gets much traffic but i have a query about the inferences portion of WG... what does it mean that you're allowed to use common sense but you still can't assume? i find this portion very tough as common sense tells me that most americans are probably working virtually because of the way the question was phrased as a growing trend and because of changing styles of working to remote/wfh 😭 sorry for being dense

Screenshot 2021-08-04 at 17.28.52.png

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    not sure if this thread gets much traffic but i have a query about the inferences portion of WG... what does it mean that you're allowed to use common sense but you still can't assume? i find this portion very tough as common sense tells me that most americans are probably working virtually because of the way the question was phrased as a growing trend and because of changing styles of working to remote/wfh 😭 sorry for being dense

View attachment 3496
    Don’t bring external knowledge into these questions. You have to go on the basis of the information presented to you alone.

Reactions: BiancaM

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019

View attachment 3496
    Hey. You can check this out. I'm not sure if you are looking for more tips but this person literally walks you through the entire test.

Reactions: BiancaM

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.