What are the disadvantages of self-funding the LPC?

A12345

Dec 18, 2018
Hey :)

I am looking to start my LPC (LLM) this September hopefully! And I just wanted some advice on whether there are any disadvantages to this? Apart from having to pay for it lol

I have applied to a few VS and been able to get through to video interviews/ ACs but unfortunately have not been offered anything. And I've also applied to commercial paralegal work and I just feel like the moment someone with an LPC applies for the role, my CV is put at the bottom of the pile.

So, as long as I pick electives which are similar to the majority of commercial firms - is there anything else I’m failing to consider?

Like the way I’m looking at it, is that, I do the LPC, apply for commerical paralegal work to help boost my commercial legal experience and hopefully this whole process will help me grow as a person and I will be able to perform better in ACs and have a better chance of securing a TC.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Kelvin

Apr 14, 2019
I think it is a good way to show commitment to a legal career (particularly when combined with your paralegal work). I think it's quite a common career path for those unable to secure TCs prior to graduating to self-fund the LPC, work as paralegals then continue applying for TCs.

The risk is obviously that you get stuck at the paralegal level. However, in my personal experience many firms see self-funding the LPC as a positive (usually it means you can start the TC earlier - helpful for firms with gaps to fill, and obviously they don't have to pay for the LPC fees or the maintenance grant), but I also know paralegals stuck in the cycle of applying for TCs every year without getting anywhere.

LK1992

Apr 30, 2019
Hi

I am self-funding the LPC this year (I am studying part-time whilst working full-time) and the following were my pros/cons:

Pros
  • I would be able to start earlier than firms were advertising for.
  • I would get the LPC out of the way and finally finish studying.
  • It fit in well with my personal circumstances as the university was close to my office, so within 5 minutes of finishing work, I could be in uni ready to start workshops.
  • I could make use of the master's loan to fund (most of) it.
  • It demonstrates a commitment to a legal career.
  • It's almost becoming a pre-requisite for paralegal positions.
Cons
  • It's very expensive, with no guarantee of a job at the end of it. That's a huge risk.
I think, when deciding whether to self-fund the LPC, it's best to be realistic with yourself regarding your chances for obtaining a TC and weighing up whether it is worth the risk. Fundamentally, I decided that there are a number of things I need to work on but that I will get there eventually. Self-funding the LPC has also made me even more determined to get a TC, as I don't like to waste money!

Feel free to contact me if you want any more, specific, advice :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.