What are UK Modules?

JimTC

Standard Member
Jan 2, 2020
I did my undergraduate university education in Canada and I'm very confused about what these "Modules" are and what I should write down for their names. about them, and my grades in my application?

My understanding is that modules are somewhat equivalent to courses in Canada?

How universities worked was we would take 8-10 courses (like Introduction to Financial Accounting) per year, which is divided into 2 terms. We would study for 4 years and in the last 2 years, study 5 courses that would be our major on our degree like accounting or finance for a business degree. So in total we would take about 40 courses. However, some TC applications only have room for 3 "Module" options and I'm not sure what to put down?

Should I write the most relevant course names for what the modules are?

This is for an application for a UK law firm overseas.

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
Yes, your courses are equivalents of modules, although admittedly in the UK we would have half of your number! :)

With regard to the number of modules that you can put in your application - to be honest, in all applications I have made, there was always a room for dozens of modules, although sometimes you have to add the next field to insert more of them.

I remember that one of my friends who studied in an European country and did a total of nearly 60 modules across 5 years successfully managed to put them down in all applications she made to the UK law firms.

However, now that I noticed that you mentioned 3 "module" options - are you sure it is about the modules as such and not your overall grade for each year of the undergraduate degree? I think some firms might ask for the overall classification per each academic year, maybe that's it?

In any case, I would strongly advise contacting the firm's recruitment team if still in doubt.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Aimee37

Oct 27, 2020
I did my undergraduate university education in Canada and I'm very confused about what these "Modules" are and what I should write down for their names. about them, and my grades in my application?

My understanding is that modules are somewhat equivalent to courses in Canada?

How universities worked was we would take 8-10 courses (like Introduction to Financial Accounting) per year, which is divided into 2 terms. We would study for 4 years and in the last 2 years, study 5 courses that would be our major on our degree like accounting or finance for a business degree. So in total we would take about 40 courses. However, some TC applications only have room for 3 "Module" options and I'm not sure what to put down?

Should I write the most relevant course names for what the modules are?

This is for an application for a UK law firm overseas.

It is really great that you could graduate from university in Canada. I know how much power and time it takes. I understand your hopes and wishes to find a good job after so many years of studying. Yes, you will have to learn a long time yet. But all it will give you a chance for a bright future. I’ve graduated from Harvard University and today I work in the business sphere. You know if I have some questions I always address at apmaccountants.ie and I’m always satisfied with their help. This is an APM Accountant company who always can answer to your questions and help you to resolve your issues. I’m not sure if they can answer about your questions. But why not to give a try? I sincerely wish you to succeed in the future and I hope my advice was useful for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Numerius Negidius

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.