What can you do right now to prepare for summer training contract interviews?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I realised I hadn't shared this in the forum, so let me re-post it here. These are just suggestions and not exhaustive:

1. Develop your commercial awareness
    A. Spend 15 minutes every day to read highlights of the top business news stories.
    B. Spend 30 minutes every week to read summaries of the key updates relating to Brexit and the US-China trade war.
    C. Read 1 opinion piece every week on a news story that you find interesting; research any technical terms you don't understand.

2. Improve your writing
    A. Write 250 words every week about an extra-curricular activity, work experience or position of responsibility. B. Review your writing; focus on improving your clarity (are you using short sentences and simple language?) and selling your experiences as best as you can (is your writing personal and specific?).
    BONUS: To improve your technique for written case studies, follow the above, but write about a commercial topic.

3. Improve your interview technique
    A. Organise a 30-minute weekly meeting with a friend to discuss a commercial topic, pick opposite sides of a story to debate and then switch.
    B. Practice 1 challenging interview question every week, record yourself under timed conditions and review. BONUS: Learn how to tell better stories (STRIVE has an excellent article on this: https://lnkd.in/gjpcnJ5).

S30

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2019
    I realised I hadn't shared this in the forum, so let me re-post it here. These are just suggestions and not exhaustive:

1. Develop your commercial awareness
    A. Spend 15 minutes every day to read highlights of the top business news stories.
    B. Spend 30 minutes every week to read summaries of the key updates relating to Brexit and the US-China trade war.
    C. Read 1 opinion piece every week on a news story that you find interesting; research any technical terms you don't understand.

2. Improve your writing
    A. Write 250 words every week about an extra-curricular activity, work experience or position of responsibility. B. Review your writing; focus on improving your clarity (are you using short sentences and simple language?) and selling your experiences as best as you can (is your writing personal and specific?).
    BONUS: To improve your technique for written case studies, follow the above, but write about a commercial topic.

3. Improve your interview technique
    A. Organise a 30-minute weekly meeting with a friend to discuss a commercial topic, pick opposite sides of a story to debate and then switch.
    B. Practice 1 challenging interview question every week, record yourself under timed conditions and review. BONUS: Learn how to tell better stories (STRIVE has an excellent article on this: https://lnkd.in/gjpcnJ5).

Thanks Jaysen for the great suggestions! :)

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.