What components make the best Law Firm for Diversity & Inclusion? How do they differ?

PMGLaw

Oct 14, 2021
I'm trying to figure out what "ACTUALLY" makes a good Diversity & Inclusion Program for our law firm. What is the difference between the two: 1) Diversity 2) Inclusion

We have approximately 22 lawyers within the firm...only 3 are African-American and 2 Hispanic but I feel that we should work in adding this for the First quarter of 2022. But any guidance would be appreciated in understanding the benefits and features of a good actionable Diversity & Inclusion Program.

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    I'm trying to figure out what "ACTUALLY" makes a good Diversity & Inclusion Program for our law firm. What is the difference between the two: 1) Diversity 2) Inclusion

We have approximately 22 lawyers within the firm...only 3 are African-American and 2 Hispanic but I feel that we should work in adding this for the First quarter of 2022. But any guidance would be appreciated in understanding the benefits and features of a good actionable Diversity & Inclusion Program.
    Hello, so I am currently developing a D&I initiative in the current non-legal company I work for. I'm no expert but it is something I am passionate about. Diversity is about having a workplace in which people from diverse backgrounds (whether that's race, religion, disability, invisible illnesses, sexuality etc.) are adequately represented. This can be as crude as a number - exactly as you've stated it with regards to the 22 lawyers at your firm. For me, inclusion is the more important bit - can everyone, regardless of their diverse characteristics, comfortably work and progress at your firm?

There are benefits of course, but a good starting point is simply considering that it's just a good thing to do - everyone wants a meritocratic and psychologically safe environment to work in. The features really depend on what your firm's aims are and where you are currently at with your D&I strategy.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Agree with everything that Kubed says but to put it in simple terms: diversity is being able to see people who look/are like you. Inclusion is figuring out ways in which to make your firm accommodating of all those differences so that everyone is respected and supported.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.