What interests you about our firm's work?

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2022
I was wondering how you could effectively answer this question? It had come up during my Irwin Mitchell VI and I don't think I answered it well at all.

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2022
What are your initial thoughts on answering the question?
I spoke about the variety of services delivered by the firm as it is a full service law firm and mentioned some recent stories I read about. But my answer was very vague and I know I didn't go into too much depth regarding why I was interested because I wasn't sure how to approach the question.

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    I spoke about the variety of services delivered by the firm as it is a full service law firm and mentioned some recent stories I read about. But my answer was very vague and I know I didn't go into too much depth regarding why I was interested because I wasn't sure how to approach the question.
    Could you focus in on specific practice areas? For example, Irwin Mitchell does a lot of medical negligence work and is well known for it. Is that something that interests you, and if so, why? Maybe you did a module on it or have some relevant work experience and liked the overlap between medicine/dispute resolution.

As you mentioned, IM are a full-service law firm. You could keep your answer wider here and explain why that interests you. As an idea, you might want to explore working for individuals and businesses in your training (then explain why).

However you answer it, what’s important is to think about why it actually interests you. Where possible, try to back up your reasons with your experience to help justify your interest.

Digging into your interests like this can be tough. What helps me is when I’m researching a firm, including its strategy, practice areas or recent news, I flag the parts where I hear myself saying ‘that’s pretty cool/interesting’ or I feel a greater sense of excitement. From there, is to dig into why I found it cool. Perhaps it’s working for interesting clients, or because I know I’ve enjoyed that specific practice area from XYZ work experience/module/seminar/volunteering in the past.

Last edited:

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2022
    Could you focus in on specific practice areas? For example, Irwin Mitchell does a lot of medical negligence work and is well known for it. Is that something that interests you, and if so, why? Maybe you did a module on it or have some relevant work experience and liked the overlap between medicine/dispute resolution.

As you mentioned, IM are a full-service law firm. You could keep your answer wider here and explain why that interests you. As an idea, you might want to explore working for individuals and businesses in your training (then explain why).

However you answer it, what’s important is to think about why it actually interests you. Where possible, try to back up your reasons with your experience to help justify your interest.

Digging into your interests like this can be tough. What helps me is when I’m researching a firm, including its strategy, practice areas or recent news, I flag the parts where I hear myself saying ‘that’s pretty cool/interesting’ or I feel a greater sense of excitement. From there, is to dig into why I found it cool. Perhaps it’s working for interesting clients, or because I know I’ve enjoyed that specific practice area from XYZ work experience/module/seminar/volunteering in the past.
    Wow thank you so much for the advice! I was really struggling answering these kinds of questions and I definitely have a clearer idea on how to approach it.

Reactions: Lumree

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.