What is actually expected of me for first year insight schemes? - + pro-bono question

Theyoungone

Mar 28, 2021
I'm starting my first year and whilst having okay academics, I only have two weeks non-legal work experience, and literally nothing to put under extra-curricular/interests. Don't get me wrong, I have SO much planned to do at university, mooting, try to write for a blog, law society, pro-bono etc. But what i want to know is, what is actually expected for these first year insight schemes? Apart from academics, do most competitive applicants already have lots of work experience and achievements prior to university? It seems whilst vacation schemes are always talked about, and how to secure them, the same is never done for insight schemes.

Also, bonus questions. Am i able to participate in pro-bono society even if I'm a new first year? because obviously i wouldn't actually have any legal knowledge to assist with lol. And is it abnormal to apply to first year schemes without any legal work experience. I'm a bit anxious as I feel really behind in the process, so id really appreciate anyone's expertise here :)

ANOTHER BONUS: are these "virtual internships" actually worth doing?

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm starting my first year and whilst having okay academics, I only have two weeks non-legal work experience, and literally nothing to put under extra-curricular/interests. Don't get me wrong, I have SO much planned to do at university, mooting, try to write for a blog, law society, pro-bono etc. But what i want to know is, what is actually expected for these first year insight schemes? Apart from academics, do most competitive applicants already have lots of work experience and achievements prior to university? It seems whilst vacation schemes are always talked about, and how to secure them, the same is never done for insight schemes.

Also, bonus questions. Am i able to participate in pro-bono society even if I'm a new first year? because obviously i wouldn't actually have any legal knowledge to assist with lol. And is it abnormal to apply to first year schemes without any legal work experience. I'm a bit anxious as I feel really behind in the process, so id really appreciate anyone's expertise here :)

ANOTHER BONUS: are these "virtual internships" actually worth doing?
Usually candidates will have some extra curriculars from school/college - so you can use anything you did there. Also if you have had any part time jobs or have ever volunteered you can include that too.

Plenty of people successfully apply for training contracts with no legal work experience, so you won’t need any for an open day/first year insight scheme.

Considering they usually only take 4-5 hours and can be done when you have time, I’d recommend trying one of the virtual internships. There is also a lot of e-learning that could be done as an alternative.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.