What is an independent law firm?

harriethh

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2022
Hi, I have been asked this question: As an independent UK firm what do you think are the main challenges and opportunities that Burges Salmon could face over the next five years?

Just wondering if you know what an independent law firm is and if I should refer / acknowledge this in my answer? Or is this just a law firm like any other. @Jessica Booker

Reactions: Bo-dilly

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Not really sure what they mean by 'independent' but they do reference it a lot. My best bet would be that they are a UK-only firm, and do not have international firms or 'subsidiaries'. Their website mentions that they refer international work to 'preferred partners' - i.e. other firms in those jurisdictions. Maybe you would be best suited speaking about challenges with doing international work and working with partners abroad - but don't take my word for it.

Reactions: harriethh

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.