What to do if I don't get any vacation schemes?

ginevrafanshawe

• Aug 12, 2022
    Hi everyone, I'm a penultimate year student who is currently receiving the decisions for my vacation scheme applications and so far all I've gotten is a few rejections. I did get to the second application stage for one firm (video interview), but they then rejected me too :(

I still have a number of firms yet to reply, but it did get me thinking about what happens if they reject me too. I know that in third year I can apply for direct TCs - is this more or less competitive than applying for vac schemes? As well as this, if I do vac schemes that year too and manage to convert one of them to a TC, will the firm still fund my SQE training which would start in the same year as the vac scheme? Or would it be too late as I'd get the TC offer too close to when the SQE starts?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Maria d'Orey

Star Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 30, 2022
    Hi @ginevrafanshawe ! Thanks for sharing this with us!

I would first like to start by saying that I understand how frustrating the process of applying to schemes can be. It is daunting to go into the process knowing that you will still need to compete for a TC after the actual VS and that so much is out of your control (e.g. how many great quality applications the particular firm you're applying to received that cycle). Still, I am genuinely sorry this situation has led you to feel disheartened - just please know that you're definitely not alone! It is a difficult and tiring process to break into commercial law, and in itself a definite example of your resilience and determination! 🌟

In terms of your specific questions, I would personally say that vacation schemes are slightly more competitive than training contracts. My impression is that firms receive more VS applications as some candidates are also trying to understand if law is for them, so they understandably see VS as an internship experience where they can see if they enjoy the work. However, it is important to consider this alongside a few other things:

- First, at the end of vacation schemes all participants tend to go through a TC interview. This is important to bear in mind because some firms will not have caps on the amount of VS candidates that they offer TCs to, so this may lead them to recruit fewer direct TC applicants on that application cycle.

- Another important thing to know is that usually those applying to a direct TC have had some form of legal work experience already (whether that be paralegal experience, a legal internship, or a VS at another firm). This means that the competition, even if a bit less intense in terms of number of applicants, is higher in terms of relevant experience. However, please do take this with a grain of salt - many people still apply without any legal work experience and do amazing in the process!

- The last point that I would bear in mind is that a VS scheme can give you an insight into the firm unlike any other experience. It is a good opportunity to really understand what kind of work the firm does, why you personally believe that you would fit in and, most importantly, whether you see yourself working them for a good amount of time. This will allow you to come across as more genuine in any interview at the end of the day, as you'll know the firm quite well.

I am not 100% sure if I understand your last question, but if you do a VS in the summer of your graduation and do get a TC right after the VS, please note that you're unlikely to start your SQE training right away. The general rule is that people get a TC offer 2 years before they start their TC, and an SQE course would only take up one of these years (maybe even less than that). They then usually have 1 year off to work on something else/take a gap year. Yet again, that is the general rule - depending on the firm, you may have less than a 2-year wait before your TC!

However, in general, yes, if you haven't started your SQE before getting a TC at the firm and still need to complete it, the firm will most likely fund it and refer you to a specific organisation that they are partnered with (e.g. ULaw, BPP, etc). That is why many people wait to start their SQE (and previously LPC) until they have a TC offer instead of self-funding this course themselves.

Lastly, I just wanted to reiterate that whatever frustration you're feeling is unfortunately a normal part of this process. I think that a good strategy is to try and not get too attached to each one of the firms you're applying to. This will hopefully help you to perceive each rejection as a learning opportunity and a way to see how you can improve and what you really want for your career. If possible, you can even contact graduate recruitment at a few firms to ask what they think you could have done better in your application (particularly the one for which you did a video interview). Most firms will likely not be able to provide it to you, but even a single piece of feedback could drastically help you improve your strategy! As many people say, "rejection can be redirection" - don't let it stop you from chasing what you want!

I hope this helps and wishing you all the best of luck in your future applications! :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.