When a firm asks what your biggest failure is

Etudierlaw2022

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 10, 2021
Hi guys, I would love your opinion.

I got through to an internship last year, but unfortunately didn't get the TC offer at the end - I completly botched the final interview.

I now have an AC this year for the same firm in the hopes I can get the internship again. Does anyone have any tips on how to talk about how I didn't get the TC offer? And if they ask me what my biggest failure is, is it okay to say that it was not getting the TC offer? (because that is actually my biggest failure to date lol)

Thanks for your help!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I would personally try to find a different situation to talk about because I think questions like this are also an opportunity to demonstrate that you are a well-rounded candidate with other interests/pursuits.

Edit: If you do choose to go through with this example then you'd have to be able to provide detail on all the steps you've taken that make that either make you a better candidate this time around or show that you've really worked on any feedback you were given the last time around

Last edited:

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hi guys, I would love your opinion.

I got through to an internship last year, but unfortunately didn't get the TC offer at the end - I completly botched the final interview.

I now have an AC this year for the same firm in the hopes I can get the internship again. Does anyone have any tips on how to talk about how I didn't get the TC offer? And if they ask me what my biggest failure is, is it okay to say that it was not getting the TC offer? (because that is actually my biggest failure to date lol)

Thanks for your help!
    Hi @aspiringjd2021

I also agree with Dheepa. In addition with showing your other interests, I think ideally you want to show how you were able to learn from this experience and improve. On this note, I think it may be a bit harder to do so if the experience you are talking about is an unsuccessful tc offer because it's harder to quantify your improvements.

On the other hand. when talking about the unsuccessful tc offer more generally if asked, I think there is nothing wrong with stating the reasons you perceived were the issue (e.g. you may feel you were not as commercially prepared or were lacking in confidence) and then mention and expand upon the ways you have improved this (e.g. through a course etc).

By framing you answer this way round rather than as your biggest failure, I think this draws less attention to the negatives and allows you to talk more about quantifiable positives.

Hope this helps & best of luck in your upcoming AC!:)

Reactions: Zoo

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Hi guys, for this question - would it be alright to talk about a particular grade (that occurred due to difficult external circumstances) or is it preferable to talk about something that happened within an extra-curricular activity? :)

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hi guys, for this question - would it be alright to talk about a particular grade (that occurred due to difficult external circumstances) or is it preferable to talk about something that happened within an extra-curricular activity? :)

Hi @IntrepidL

I don't think there is anything wrong with mentioning a grade! I would just advise to make sure ( as with any example) you follow up with what you learnt from the experience and how you have developed since.

Hope this helps :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.