Distinguished Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 30, 2022
Hi @TobyHill,

I think the answer here would depend as to what you mean by firms you have not done a VS for.

For firms you have not applied for a VS for, you can apply to those firms whenever. You would just need to check when the application opens, if the applications are rolling and non-rolling. My advice would also be to look here at which firms recruit more heavily from their VS or direct TC intake, so that you can know where would be best to apply to for a direct TC.

As for when you should apply for a direct TC at firms where you have not got a VS for, this varies from firm to firm and also might vary depending on how far you got with your application. I know some law firms that stipulate that applications for a VS and TC at the firm should not be made in the same cycle, or even in the next few cycles. I also know some law firms where you might be able to make a direct TC application soon after having been unsuccessful with a VS application to the firm - however, you would need to show that you have improved significantly from your previous application and have identified how to work on those weaknesses that might have led to your unsuccessful VS application.

My advice would therefore be to consult each law firm website and contact graduate recruitment at each law firm you are considering applying to to understand how soon after your unsuccessful VS application can make your TC application.

I hope that helps :) let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.