Where should a law firm open its next office?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited:

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Yes very popular question, for a number of reasons. I know of a firm where this is a mandatory question in all VS/TC interviews. They are heavily sector focused.

For them they don’t care which region/country you mention. It’s your reasons, and being able to link it back to their sectors and international strategy.

Be expected for follow up! So if you say Africa. Then where in Africa. Why not “X” country over “Y”. If China, then what are the regulatory obstacles. Why haven’t more firms been able to break into the market. How do you suggest “A” launch in “B” country. I.e what types of strategies have firms used to grow and expand.

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I've heard it come up at the following firms: Simmons & Simmons, HSF, Latham and Allen & Overy. I'm sure there are others.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited:

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    To help with this popular interview question, I will try to keep links/materials for different jurisdictions in this thread. Please feel free to contribute also.

Renewable energy in Africa: https://www.whitecase.com/publicati...m_source=LinkedIn&utm_content=LinkedInElevate

Foreign investment in Africa: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/the-battle-for-africa/
    H @Jaysen,

This is an interesting article re renewable energy in Africa, I thought that the difficulties/risks with opening up shop in Africa (regulatory concerns; government interference, bribery and corruption risk and difficulty in enforcing disputes) would far outweigh the benefits of an emerging market.

I was curious to know what you thought about the lack of MC law firm presence in Latin America, given Brazil and Argentina are rapidly growing economies with Chile also burgeoning. Not only are the economies fast-growing, but Chile for instance boasts an abundance of natural resources critical to the energy transition (most notably lithium).

I wonder why law firms are hesitant to expand into LA, with the opportunity that could come from a base in say Santiago or Sao Paulo?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    H @Jaysen,

This is an interesting article re renewable energy in Africa, I thought that the difficulties/risks with opening up shop in Africa (regulatory concerns; government interference, bribery and corruption risk and difficulty in enforcing disputes) would far outweigh the benefits of an emerging market.

I was curious to know what you thought about the lack of MC law firm presence in Latin America, given Brazil and Argentina are rapidly growing economies with Chile also burgeoning. Not only are the economies fast-growing, but Chile for instance boasts an abundance of natural resources critical to the energy transition (most notably lithium).

I wonder why law firms are hesitant to expand into LA, with the opportunity that could come from a base in say Santiago or Sao Paulo?
    In some cases, these jurisdictions are often serviced reasonably well from other locations, namely the US or even Spain/Portugal and the U.K, particularly if they have a best friends network with a local firm.

Given US and English law typically govern many international deals, you don’t necessarily need a lot of local jurisdictional advice and can therefore sometimes afford to not invest in that country. Starting up an office can often be quite a costly process too, which can often stop firms from opening offices in different locations.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: AvniD and sxw517

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    In some cases, these jurisdictions are often serviced reasonably well from other locations, namely the US or even Spain/Portugal and the U.K, particularly if they have a best friends network with a local firm.

Given US and English law typically govern many international deals, you don’t necessarily need a lot of local jurisdictional advice and can therefore sometimes afford to not invest in that country. Starting up an office can often be quite a costly process too, which can often stop firms from opening offices in different locations.
    Thanks Jessica :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.