which course to choose for better employment opportunities

Abhi988788

Nov 9, 2020
I have received an offer to do Master of arts in law at University of law and Postgraduate diploma in law at BPP University for the January intake 2021 at leeds. I have recently completed my masters LLM in criminal law and justice at Uni of leeds and carrier aspirations are to become a paralegal or Barrister in the UK. Kindly help me with any valuable suggestions from which it would be useful for seeking employment with the above qualification.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have received an offer to do Master of arts in law at University of law and Postgraduate diploma in law at BPP University for the January intake 2021 at leeds. I have recently completed my masters LLM in criminal law and justice at Uni of leeds and carrier aspirations are to become a paralegal or Barrister in the UK. Kindly help me with any valuable suggestions from which it would be useful for seeking employment with the above qualification.

Both courses won’t really directly help your employability beyond allowing you to progress to the LPC or BPTC.

Both BPP and UoL are well recognised law training providers. You may want to look at how the course will be taught (eg class timings/method of teaching, esp given Covid) and assessment methods - as these are typically what makes people choose between the two institutions.

RubySmithers

Star Member
Jun 25, 2020
Your career aspirations are to become a paralegal? I think you may have meant solicitor.

And I agree with Jessica. Both courses you have outlined won't mean much to non-legal employers. I would strongly suggest that you do some research into what you truly want to do in the future. It may be a better option for you to take up work experience in the legal sector instead so that you can make a more informed decision.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
So it sounds like your original degree in criminal law at Leeds did not cover you for the legal subjects you need for the bar so you are having to do the PGDL as you did not cover subjects like contract, tort etc during your first degree?

As said above both are just a means to an end (qualifying) so will not help or hinder in terms of jobs. If you want to qualify as a solicitor then you will need to do the LPC year course after the PGDL and hopefully you will have applied to law firms to pay your PGDL and LPC fees already or it not will start to do so. You should also look at the new system to qualify for solicitors - SQE exams in case that will be a better option for you (this is for solicitors, not barristers).

Abhi988788

Nov 9, 2020
Both courses won’t really directly help your employability beyond allowing you to progress to the LPC or BPTC.

Both BPP and UoL are well recognised law training providers. You may want to look at how the course will be taught (eg class timings/method of teaching, esp given Covid) and assessment methods - as these are typically what makes people choose between the two institutions.

Hey, Jessica thanks for your reply. So the BPP is teaching it online and is charging 9250 for the whole year. The teaching would start from January and end in August. whereas Uni of law charges about 9950 for the whole course for a year and the teaching is face to face and is from January 2021 to January 2022. Like i need to have a qualifying law degree in the Uk and i have an LLB from India and I'm done with my masters. So yeah my intention is to become a barrister so i got to do BPC the problem lies with the funding. Thanks so much for your opinion.

Abhi988788

Nov 9, 2020
Your career aspirations are to become a paralegal? I think you may have meant solicitor.

And I agree with Jessica. Both courses you have outlined won't mean much to non-legal employers. I would strongly suggest that you do some research into what you truly want to do in the future. It may be a better option for you to take up work experience in the legal sector instead so that you can make a more informed decision.

Hey Ruby no no my intention is to ultimately be a barrister so i have to have a qualifying law degree in the Uk. I already have an LLB in India and have a masters from Uni of leeds which is not a qualifying law degree in the Uk. So in order to either practice in the Uk i need to have a qualifying law degree so I'm just wondering which course to choose i mean universities as both the course qualify a person to continue them to doing BPC or LPC. Thanks so much for your reply appreciate it.

Abhi988788

Nov 9, 2020
So it sounds like your original degree in criminal law at Leeds did not cover you for the legal subjects you need for the bar so you are having to do the PGDL as you did not cover subjects like contract, tort etc during your first degree?

As said above both are just a means to an end (qualifying) so will not help or hinder in terms of jobs. If you want to qualify as a solicitor then you will need to do the LPC year course after the PGDL and hopefully you will have applied to law firms to pay your PGDL and LPC fees already or it not will start to do so. You should also look at the new system to qualify for solicitors - SQE exams in case that will be a better option for you (this is for solicitors, not barristers).

thank you so much for your suggestion appreciate it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.