Which law firms recruit on a rolling basis? (2020-21)

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020
Jaysen asked me to create a new thread with this list for better visibility:

Rolling basis
Non-rolling basis
Mixture of rolling & non-rolling

Obvious provisos:
  • Check the links, don't just rely on me.
  • Non-listed firms simply meant I could not easily find information about this year's recruitment process - so I didn't use tweets/law society brochures/job descriptions/TCLA posts from previous years, since some firms do change their stance on rolling/non rolling. On top of that, I only worked from the legalcheek list, so doubtless there are firms that I didn't check out because they were not on the list. I also didn't spend that long digging either, so if I couldn't quickly find a firm's policy on it, I just left them off the list.
  • If a firm isn't listed, it's often worth sending them a message on Instagram if they have a recruitment page, which many seem to do. They often seem to be fairly receptive to questions asked in the comments on their posts.

Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Jaysen asked me to create a new thread with this list for better visibility:

Obvious provisos:
    • Check the links, don't just rely on me.
    • Non-listed firms simply meant I could not easily find information about this year's recruitment process - so I didn't use tweets/law society brochures/job descriptions/TCLA posts from previous years, since some firms do change their stance on rolling/non rolling. On top of that, I only worked from the legalcheek list, so doubtless there are firms that I didn't check out because they were not on the list. I also didn't spend that long digging either, so if I couldn't quickly find a firm's policy on it, i just left them off the list.
    • If a firm isn't listed, it's often worth sending them a message on Instagram if they have a recruitment page, which many seem to do. They often seem to be fairly receptive to questions asked in the comments on their posts.
    Hey @Adam Gilchrist,

Awesome work compiling this list! Just a suggestion, but it might be easier if you can group the rolling firms together and non-rolling firms together (or make the distinction a bit more obvious some other way)?

hunter

Star Member
  • Oct 30, 2020
    Forgive me for my ignorance, but what difference does it make for a firm to be rolling if their interviews/assessment centres are far out?
    I understand that there are some firms that are rolling and open applications in September/October, but don't run their ACs or invite people to them until all at once in Feb/March time. Is it that they have limited spaces on these ACs and so the only bonus of applying early is to get a spot on one of these?

Some other firms seem to run several sets of AC/interview, and so you can gain a competitive edge by applying early and being interviewed before VS spots get filled up.

AAA_a

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 14, 2019
    I was having a look at Davis Polk but seems they only recruit from law students? I emailed them but no response. Is this your interpretation of the criteria/ :)
    No they take both law and non-law.

However I spoke to the recruiting partner on the open day, and he said because they take only 4 trainees per year, they tend to prefer law students because it is easier for them to assess their competence/commitment (something along the line), but non-law should nevertheless apply. From memory I think they have 2-3 non laws (out of a total 8 trainees) in any two cycles.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: hunter and WannabeSolicitor24

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Does anyone have any guidance on Lathams at all? I read somewhere in the forums that Latham VS is rolling but I'm super sure it's not. Would be good to get some confirmation if possible

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Just to add to this - I am pretty sure when I was applying they were non-rolling, this may have changed but I haven't heard otherwise.

hunter

Star Member
  • Oct 30, 2020
    I was having a look at Davis Polk but seems they only recruit from law students? I emailed them but no response. Is this your interpretation of the criteria/ :)
    No they have changed their recruiting criterion this year. They now only accept applications from Law students.
    There is a screenshot of an email from grad rec confirming this on another thread.
    Don't bother wasting your time if you're a non-law student :)

Here we go:
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ht-events-applications-discussion.2731/page-8

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.