White & Case Interview and Competency Questions

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018
Hey guys,

I have an upcoming White & Case interview (30 mins) with a Senior Associate and a member of HR. Has anyone done this/have any tips?

Secondly, I was wondering how you guys prep for competency questions - I feel like they could ask any question, and there's only so many scenarios I can extract from my work experience to demonstrate a skill! Also, what if they ask a competency skill and I can't think of a scenario where I demonstrated it - I can't exactly lie :/

Thanks guys

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
Feb 28, 2018
First off, congrats on your interview.

I do not have any direct experience re White & case but I do re competency interviews.

1. Practice and prepare motivational questions. The key ones which you NEED to perfect are:

Why white & case?
Why law? (If you’re non-law student this will DEFINITELY come up)
Why commercial law?
And perhaps, what skills do you have etc?

Competency questions:

You should google competency questions, plenty will come up.

The usual ones will be based around examples where you’ve demonstrated team work, drive, resilience, organisation, dealt with disappointment, shown leadership. This is not exhaustive list!

Moreover, US firms value entrepreneurial candidates, people who can think outside the box. So try and prepare an answer for questions relating to a time where you’ve been innovative.

Note: some of your answers may lead to further questions based on the answers you give so be prepared to think on the spot.
If you don’t have a direct example the worst thing you can do is not answer. Just give an example and try to link it to the competency they’re looking for somehow. Use the STAR method, it’ll help!

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen and CF

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018
First off, congrats on your interview.

I do not have any direct experience re White & case but I do re competency interviews.

1. Practice and prepare motivational questions. The key ones which you NEED to perfect are:

Why white & case?
Why law? (If you’re non-law student this will DEFINITELY come up)
Why commercial law?
And perhaps, what skills do you have etc?

Competency questions:

You should google competency questions, plenty will come up.

The usual ones will be based around examples where you’ve demonstrated team work, drive, resilience, organisation, dealt with disappointment, shown leadership. This is not exhaustive list!

Moreover, US firms value entrepreneurial candidates, people who can think outside the box. So try and prepare an answer for questions relating to a time where you’ve been innovative.

Note: some of your answers may lead to further questions based on the answers you give so be prepared to think on the spot.
If you don’t have a direct example the worst thing you can do is not answer. Just give an example and try to link it to the competency they’re looking for somehow. Use the STAR method, it’ll help!

Good luck!

Thank you! Very helpful :)

Amelia

Nov 22, 2018
Hi there! Congrats on your interview! I have just been sent the video interview link for White & Case, and was wondering if you had any insight as to the questions, was there anything that threw you off? Good luck if you haven't had the interview already :)

J Wu

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2018
When I interviewed for the winter vac scheme last year, they generally stuck to the standard types of questions you might be asked in a competency interview, but with more of a focus on what I'd written in my application rather than individual competencies.

From the top of my head, I remember they asked me:

- Why commercial law?
- Why White & Case?
- Why did I study the course that I chose? (non-law)
- Why did I have a few rogue marks within my first year grades?
- How do I manage my time? (I had a lot of extra-curricular activities on my application) - this spun-off into some situational questions (what would I do if I had a deal closing coming up, but it was also my friend's wedding at the weekend?)
- What commercial issue has drawn my attention recently?
- What motivates me?
- A variety of specific questions relating to things I'd talked about in my application

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jaysen and CF

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.