Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Please state the month/year you interviewed at the firm.

February 2021

Please specify what the interview was for.

Spring Vacation Scheme 2021

Please give an overview of the day with approximate timings.

It was a virtual interview experience. 10.45am interview with a senior associate and member of graduate recruitment, which lasted approximately 40 minutes. Then I had the rest of the day to complete the written exercise, which was timed at 75 minutes.

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.

Interview - 45 minute discussion about you, your motivations for the firm, your work experiences, what you know about the firm and answering competency questions. The conversation flows very naturally depending on the answers you give.

Written exercise - 75 minute written legal memo for a partner in the form of an email. The partner has a client coming in for a meeting tomorrow. I was provided with four articles and the task was to read through the articles, summarise them and identify key issues for the client based on these articles, as well as any other commercial knowledge you may have yourself. You should also suggest potential solutions for the client. All the instructions will be included.

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

White & Case's interview is CV blind, so it truly is an opportunity to sell yourself. Make sure you know a lot about the firm's unique points, including its strategy, the guaranteed international secondment, its industry focuses and top practice areas. It's worth knowing how these operate on a global scale, not limited to the London office. A lot of the discussion was based on the previous answer I had given, so make sure you only mention things you can then go on to speak about. If you mention a case/deal the firm was involved in, know it well! The senior associate I had had worked very closely on the case I mentioned, and so he specifically asked me what I know about it and what I thought about the firm's involvement (it was a sovereign case), so feel free to bring in your opinion and spark a debate. They ask at the end if there is anything you'd like to mention, so use this time to focus on your own strong points and make sure the interviewers know these before the interview ends.

The written assessment is largely based on commercial knowledge, including what you know about a particular industry, the challenges a business may face etc. Reading through TCLA's case study materials was the only thing I did to prepare. I would recommend skim reading everything first, so you get a basic idea, and then reading in detail. Although I had a timer in front of me, I found it was helpful using my phone to set 10-15 minute bursts so I knew when to move on, and so I didn't get carried away. Use simple language and break your sections into smaller paragraphs (no one wants to read huge chunks of text). If there are several matters to note, make sure you prioritise - you can't include everything.

Were you successful?

Yes

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Please state the month/year you interviewed at the firm.

March 2021

Please specify what the interview was for.

Summer Vacation Scheme 2021

Please give an overview of the day with approximate timings.

I chose a 10am slot for the interview, which was with a senior associate, and member of the graduate recruitment team. The interview lasted around 45 minutes.

I then had the rest of the day to complete the written exercise, which was about 75 minutes long.

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.

Interview (approx. 45 minutes.) Largely a discussion about your motivations for joining the firm. Conversation flowed naturally; most of the questions followed from one another.

Case study (approx. 75 minutes) A memo for a Partner in the firm. I was provided with four articles (I think!) and tasked with synthesising the key issues, and then presenting potential solutions.

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

My top tip for interviews is to try and find a USP. This doesn't have to be something crazy, it can just be a certain topic or interest that you have. I'm really interested in sustainability and I think that this interested the interviewers. Interviewers will hear 100s of people recite the same case study, so if you can demonstrate a genuine interest in something different, you will stand out.

I also think that people underestimate the importance of attending Open Days. I attended a W&C Open Day and absolutely loved it. In my interview I was able to refer to specific experiences/conversations from the day as evidence of my interest in the firm.

It is also always good to build up some rapport with the interviewers: tell a funny story, or try and bring your personality in when you're answering questions. They ask you at the end if there is anything else that you'd like to include, this isn't a trick question, so definitely make the most of it. Remember that the interview is CV blind, so this is the last chance to sell yourself. I personally did not feel that I had anything to add at the time, but I regretted passing up on the opportunity during the long wait to hear back!

For the written exercise, timing is key. I had my phone set with 15 minute timers, so I was able to monitor how long I had left. I used PESTLE in my analysis, however only ended up doing PES because I started running out of time (!) Jacob Miller's case study article helped massively too. Make sure to include an executive summary and conclusion too. In my conclusion, I summarised the key issues / solutions for the client. Use bullet points and be nuanced in what you say.

Were you successful?

Yes

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.