White & Case Video interview

Abonil

Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 45
Jan 25, 2019
Hi guys, I went through the VI process and participated in the 2020 winter vac. The VI usually will ask three questions and consist of 1 question on the firm (i.e. Why White & Case etc), 1 competency-based question and 1 commercial awareness question. You will have 15 secs to think followed by 1 min 30 secs to respond :) Hope this helps and please feel free to drop me a message if you have any more questions!

marmd99

Standard Member
Feb 5, 2021
Hi guys, I went through the VI process and participated in the 2020 winter vac. The VI usually will ask three questions and consist of 1 question on the firm (i.e. Why White & Case etc), 1 competency-based question and 1 commercial awareness question. You will have 15 secs to think followed by 1 min 30 secs to respond :) Hope this helps and please feel free to drop me a message if you have any more questions!
Hi!

Have you got any examples for the competency and commercial awareness questions, please?

Thank you!

PS: How was your experience on the Vac Scheme?

marmd99

Standard Member
Feb 5, 2021
Hi!

Have you got any examples for the competency and commercial awareness questions, please?

Thank you!

Abonil

Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 45
Jan 25, 2019
Hi!

Thank you!

Hiya,

Unfortunately, I don't think I can give away too much away in terms of the exact wording so as to maintain the integrity of the assessment. But what I would say is that I don't think the questions were very specific or designed in a way to catch you out. So if you have put in the effort to make the necessary preparations for standard interview questions and time your responses so that they are well within the 90 sec time limit I think you will be fine :)

Re the VS - I think this would require a longer and perhaps more dedicated post but I guess the TLDR version is that I really enjoyed my time during the scheme and I felt that grad rec really put in the effort to try to let you feel a part of the firm (albeit virtually). The only downside of the scheme was perhaps not being able to get to know the other vs participants! But overall, very positive experience compared to some other virtual schemes I have done.

legalCheek27

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 29, 2020
    Can anyone help me here.

On friday evening (5th Feb), I was sent a White & Case VI interview invite, saying I have 3 days to complete it. However (and this likely because the VI invite was sent just before the weekend), it said:

“The deadline for this interview is 10 Febuary 2021 (GMT+00:00).”

I understand most deadlines include the day of the deadline, however I assumed that ‘00:00’ here meant that I have to complete the VI before the 10th (ie finish it by the end of Tuesday night).

However, I’ve just been sent a reminder email from the firm saying “the deadline for the video interview is on Wednesday”, which confused me.

Do I have to complete the VI by the end of Tuesday night (9th), or by the end of Wednesay (10th)?

Abonil

Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 45
    Jan 25, 2019
    Can anyone help me here.

On friday evening (5th Feb), I was sent a White & Case VI interview invite, saying I have 3 days to complete it. However (and this likely because the VI invite was sent just before the weekend), it said:

“The deadline for this interview is 10 Febuary 2021 (GMT+00:00).”

I understand most deadlines include the day of the deadline, however I assumed that ‘00:00’ here meant that I have to complete the VI before the 10th (ie finish it by the end of Tuesday night).

However, I’ve just been sent a reminder email from the firm saying “the deadline for the video interview is on Wednesday”, which confused me.

Do I have to complete the VI by the end of Tuesday night (9th), or by the end of Wednesay (10th)?
    Hi there,

I remember being confused about this when I received my VI last winter (and they only gave me two days to do it!). My advice would be to err on the side of caution and do it by the end of Tuesday, especially because they do assess the VIs on a rolling basis!​

Best of luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.