'Why commercial law?'

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi guys, I hope everyone is well.

Perhaps Jaysen can answer this in more detail as I'm no expert. However, I've recently been asked a question in respect to answering the 'why commercial law?' question on applications and I felt perhaps it might be helpful if I post my 'strategy' on a general thread.

'Why commercial law/legal career' and 'Why this firm'? are perhaps the most difficult questions to answer because not only does it need to be personal to you, but it also needs to be tailored to the firm you are applying to.

In terms of strategy, I make a list of why I'm interested in commercial law or a legal career. For example: I studied law at university and enjoyed it; I enjoy the intricacies of business (I run my own business); I've attended open days, workshops, completed internships/vacation schemes etc; I've been interested in economic developments since university etc.

I would then answer the question directly as to why and how these activities have cemented my interest or desire to pursue a career in commercial law and NOT any other career paths.

Ultimately, the question aims to seek your motivations towards commercial law, therefore if you're a non-law student (or law student), you need to formulate an answer to show your motivation towards commercial law. Talking about your experiences, whether that's within a commercial sector, position of responsibility or volunteering - you must relate it back to why this influences your decision to pursue commercial law.

jess889

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2018

Perhaps Jaysen can answer this in more detail as I'm no expert. However, I've recently been asked a question in respect to answering the 'why commercial law?' question on applications and I felt perhaps it might be helpful if I post my 'strategy' on a general thread.

'Why commercial law/legal career' and 'Why this firm'? are perhaps the most difficult questions to answer because not only does it need to be personal to you, but it also needs to be tailored to the firm you are applying to.

In terms of strategy, I make a list of why I'm interested in commercial law or a legal career. For example: I studied law at university and enjoyed it; I enjoy the intricacies of business (I run my own business); I've attended open days, workshops, completed internships/vacation schemes etc; I've been interested in economic developments since university etc.

I would then answer the question directly as to why and how these activities have cemented my interest or desire to pursue a career in commercial law and NOT any other career paths.

Ultimately, the question aims to seek your motivations towards commercial law, therefore if you're a non-law student (or law student), you need to formulate an answer to show your motivation towards commercial law. Talking about your experiences, whether that's within a commercial sector, position of responsibility or volunteering - you must relate it back to why this influences your decision to pursue commercial law.

This is some excellent advice and completely agreed! How are your applications going?

Reactions: Sandrou

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
Feb 28, 2018
This is some excellent advice and completely agreed! How are your applications going?
I'm waiting for a reply post TC interview, however I'm not holding my breath (didn't enjoy the work at the firm and some of the people). I've started a new job now so I've not began any TC application for this upcoming cycle yet. What about yourself?

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018

Completely agree 100%!!! The application answers then become a lot more genuine and persuasive because you have an ACTUAL reason backed up with evidence which the recruiters 99.9% of the time are conviced by!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandrou

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hey no worries, I hope it's of use to you.

And yes, this will depend on the firm I'm applying to. There are many firms who value 'entrepreneurial flair', some US firms to be exact. Therefore after ascertaining this information through research, I will tailor my response and mention most of the things you have alluded to below. I.e., "having to understand the market I operate in ... how to compete with competitors" etc.

It's great that you are involved in your family's business and you should definitely talk about this where appropriate. Ultimately, any exposure you have to the business world is helpful, whether that is working in retail, at a bar, or even for a corporate company. The answer should be specific to YOUR motivations!

Blimey – That is so kind of Sandrou to share his thinking as opposed to most people who usually do not want others to succeed.

I am a Bio-Med graduate so do excuse me for my naivety – I understand why your VC’s have played a part in attracting you to commercial law as it gave you the exposure to the work etc etc. What I am failing to grasp (due to my own inadequacy) is how does running your business give you exposure to Commercial law as commercial law, especially at MC/US FIRMS, is all about advising businesses in the big league if bluntly put. Is it because you had to understand the market conditions of your business, understand how to compete with your competitors? Is this your angle?

I apologize for my line of questioning, it is just that I have a family business and I would love to use that angle into why it attracts me to commercial law, but I am perhaps not grasping why does 'me' running a small business suddenly attract me to the big league?

I am hoping you can perhaps resolve my query – it would be most helpful.

jess889

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2018
I'm waiting for a reply post TC interview, however I'm not holding my breath (didn't enjoy the work at the firm and some of the people). I've started a new job now so I've not began any TC application for this upcoming cycle yet. What about yourself?

I'm still waiting to hear after a couple of TC interviews. The waiting game is slowly killing me!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.