Why do you want to join the firm? Paralegal application question

laurenashley98

Jun 13, 2021
Why do you want to join the firm? (Paralegal job application). Is there a special way how to go about answering this? I always feel I need to mention the firm itself and then the role but I'm not sure how to answer it by sounding genuine but not generic at the same time.

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The way to not make it generic is to ensure it is tailored to the firm/department.

What is it specifically about that firm that appeals to you over others you could apply to?

What is it about that opportunity with the firm over the other paralegal opportunities you could apply to with them?

Reactions: laurenashley98

laurenashley98

Jun 13, 2021
The way to not make it generic is to ensure it is tailored to the firm/department.

What is it specifically about that firm that appeals to you over others you could apply to?

What is it about that opportunity with the firm over the other paralegal opportunities you could apply to with the
When answering why the firm, would it be good enough to speak about the firm's growth/success and how that would allow for greater responsibilities and a busy environment when working there? I've linked it to past experience etc demonstrating how I enjoy and work well in busy teams. It's quite hard because I'm limited to 1500 characters so about 250 words so I can't make it very detailed.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When answering why the firm, would it be good enough to speak about the firm's growth/success and how that would allow for greater responsibilities and a busy environment when working there? I've linked it to past experience etc demonstrating how I enjoy and work well in busy teams. It's quite hard because I'm limited to 1500 characters so about 250 words so I can't make it very detailed.
Sounds like a very good approach to me. If the paralegal role is department specific, do try to get in why that area too though, as I think this is often a key differentiator to training contracts where you have to see multiple practice areas.

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.