Why is A&O considered cutting edge?

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
Feb 25, 2021
Can't tell whether this is a slightly passive response (?) but I'm asking as a response to feedback on my application about being more specific in why I think its cutting edge, since clearly my examples weren't specific enough. I think there's no problem asking for others input for examples when you have already written your own answers
Ngl buddy, I get the feeling this is for their application questions? Try doing some research on https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/ and A&Os website (look if they have an open day). Making your own answers is better!

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Can't tell whether this is a slightly passive response (?) but I'm asking as a response to feedback on my application about being more specific in why I think its cutting edge, since clearly my examples weren't specific enough. I think there's no problem asking for others input for examples when you have already written your own answers
    Not passive-aggressive at all! I just wanted to make sure you knew the resources to use to find out why firms are the way they are and so that you can apply them for future applications.

While getting examples from others is great - you wanna make yourself stand out to get the best chance.

If you are looking for feedback on applications specifically, @Jaysen can likely tell you where to get the review service from TCLA as there is a specific service for that :)

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    To make the claim that the firm is cutting edge, you should already have factors in mind to back that up. The forum cannot spoonfeed your application answers, but if you raised particular points and asked how that would relate to a trainee, someone on the forum should be able to give their opinion

Reactions: M777

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021
    To make the claim that the firm is cutting edge, you should already have factors in mind to back that up. The forum cannot spoonfeed your application answers, but if you raised particular points and asked how that would relate to a trainee, someone on the forum should be able to give their opinion
    I am not asking for anyone to spoon-feed my application answers

Reactions: jan28

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021
    Sorry that I mislabelled my questions, I am not confident in my own suggestions and I am embarrassed to post them on here. I understand your point, this is not a place to get your answers. However, if you had perhaps read my response to Celestie, you would understand I already have a second draft of an answer (which has examples), but I am wondering if I am missing the mark a bit and I was seeking others input on the question.

Personally, since I believe this is a forum of people going through similar things ,and attempting to all succeed in the same tough market place, a more considerate delivery tone would be well placed here. However, I am hoping this may just be a misjudgement of your tone, or perhaps a week where I am struggling to believe in myself and I am seeing criticism where there is none...

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021
    Not passive-aggressive at all! I just wanted to make sure you knew the resources to use to find out why firms are the way they are and so that you can apply them for future applications.

While getting examples from others is great - you wanna make yourself stand out to get the best chance.

If you are looking for feedback on applications specifically, @Jaysen can likely tell you where to get the review service from TCLA as there is a specific service for that :)
    Sorry- its one of those weeks 😢

• 🤝
    Reactions: Celestie

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Sorry that I mislabelled my questions, I am not confident in my own suggestions and I am embarrassed to post them on here. I understand your point, this is not a place to get your answers. However, if you had perhaps read my response to Celestie, you would understand I already have a second draft of an answer (which has examples), but I am wondering if I am missing the mark a bit and I was seeking others input on the question.

Personally, since I believe this is a forum of people going through similar things ,and attempting to all succeed in the same tough market place, a more considerate delivery tone would be well placed here. However, I am hoping this may just be a misjudgement of your tone, or perhaps a week where I am struggling to believe in myself and I am seeing criticism where there is none...
    Tone can definitely be hard to judge here, I was trying to give feedback on how to ask more focussed questions on here where people are more likely to respond and help. I'm sure your examples were good as whoever reviewed your draft didn't tell you they were wrong! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: hopefullawyer101

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For people to give feedback on this forum, they really need to understand some of your thinking. As the post was just asking why the firm is innovative without demonstrating your own thinking, they are unable to really comment, which is why the replies are driving you to sources that may help you think about the topic more.

People are more than willing to guide you on here. You could ask whether any of the members would be willing to review your answers via private message if you don’t want to post your answers in the forum. Alternatively, you could just pick up the keys themes you have thought about and ask people whether they have any other thoughts/ideas/opinions.

The more you can give to the conversation, the more you will be able to get out of it.

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021
    For people to give feedback on this forum, they really need to understand some of your thinking. As the post was just asking why the firm is innovative without demonstrating your own thinking, they are unable to really comment, which is why the replies are driving you to sources that may help you think about the topic more.
    I totally understand this and I apologise for the vagueness of the post, its something I will work on next time. It is sometimes intimidating because many other people on here appear to be much better equipped, more knowledgeable and generally make me feel totally like I am not good enough to go Into this career, so it can be a bit daunting to post my own thinking! That being said, I am sure this is something I just need to work on.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I totally understand this and I apologise for the vagueness of the post, its something I will work on next time. It is sometimes intimidating because many other people on here appear to be much better equipped, more knowledgeable and generally make me feel totally like I am not good enough to go Into this career, so it can be a bit daunting to post my own thinking! That being said, I am sure this is something I just need to work on.
    We completely understand that - it is a very common feeling our members will have from time to time, but the forum is one where you won’t be judged negatively for trying to learn.

As mentioned, you can always ask people whether they would be willing to review your answer via PM. This is something our members do regularly to support one another in this process of learning.

You may also want to read the “A&O Legal Innovation Benchmarking Report”, as well as information about Fuse.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I'm sure our members can appreciate that the forum can be intimidating and it is very difficult to read tone online. Everyone starts somewhere, so please don't feel you are not welcome. As Jess said, the more you can provide in your first post, the more we can provide useful advice :).

• 🤝
    Reactions: hopefullawyer101

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.