Why this firm for national firms (or non big ticket firms)?

Sarai

Star Member
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2021
Throughout my degree and with some social mobility initiatives I've been conditioned to think of magic circle, silver circle, US firms and elite global firms as the only place to train. However work life balance is really important to me, I have important responsibilities outside of work. So I was considering applying to national and regional firms in the hope for that work life balance.

1. Is work life balance really better in firms like Addleshaw Goddard and Pinsent Masons compared to elite global firms or silver circle firms?

2. How do you answer why this firm for a firm that doesn't have many or any tier 1 or 2 rankings or all their tier 1 or 2 rankings are in a specific sector? I use chambers and legal 500 for rankings and these differ a lot (legal 500 has a lot more rankings per firm but can be more generous than chambers). Based on careers advice I got during uni looking up rankings and recent deals are a good way of finding why you want to work for the firm. Also what is a good reason for working at a firm that doesn't do big ticket work?

I am ambitious and like to be intellectual stimulated so I would like to do great work but also at a firm that values work like balance. If you have suggestions please send them?

Reactions: George Maxwell

shannontongg

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Trainee
Junior Lawyer 10
  • Oct 3, 2021
    The quality of work and reputation of the firm can be one reason to apply for a firm, but I would say there is a lot more involved in choosing a firm than just that. It may be worth researching the following:-

Style of training: This is super important as a junior member of the team, since you will have a lot to learn. Do you prefer an environment where you are likely to receive more guidance and structure to the work you are given, or one where you have a higher level of responsibility, and are expected to be able to ask questions to figure out the next steps more independently.

Culture/strategy of the firm: Firms can pride themselves in being innovative, having a down to earth environment, or perhaps a big emphasis on client care. Each firm will be different in this regard. Doing your research to get a good understanding of the firm’s vibe will really help you answer the ‘why this firm’ question. If you are focusing on firms with good work life balance, they may have more emphasis on mental well-being which is something you can look to highlight.

National/regional firms will have a different client base and different strengths compared to the other firms you have mentioned. Ultimately figuring this out will come down to researching each firm. Taking a look at the firms’ websites and recent work will start to give you an idea.

You have mentioned you are ambitious. If progression within a firm is important to you, you can also look into what support the firm offers in terms of mentoring schemes or professional development, and whether the firm has good opportunities for progression. There was a recent article on RollonFriday about this with the results of their survey.

I hope this has given you some more ideas of what you could research in putting together your answer for ‘why this firm’.

Last edited:

Sarai

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 13, 2021
    The quality of work and reputation of the firm can be one reason to apply for a firm, but I would say there is a lot more involved in choosing a firm than just that. It may be worth researching the following:-

Style of training: This is super important as a junior member of the team, since you will have a lot to learn. Do you prefer an environment where you are likely to receive more guidance and structure to the work you are given, or one where you have a higher level of responsibility, and are expected to be able to ask questions to figure out the next steps more independently.

Culture/strategy of the firm: Firms can pride themselves in being innovative, having a down to earth environment, or perhaps a big emphasis on client care. Each firm will be different in this regard. Doing your research to get a good understanding of the firm’s vibe will really help you answer the ‘why law’ question. If you are focusing on firms with good work life balance, they may have more emphasis on mental well-being which is something you can look to highlight.

National/regional firms will have a different client base and different strengths compared to the other firms you have mentioned. Ultimately figuring this out will come down to researching each firm. Taking a look at the firms’ websites and recent work will start to give you an idea.

You have mentioned you are ambitious. If progression within a firm is important to you, you can also look into what support the firm offers in terms of mentoring schemes or professional development, and whether the firm has good opportunities for profession. There was a recent article on RollonFriday about this with the results of their survey.

I hope this has given you some more ideas of what you could research in putting together your answer for ‘why this firm’.
    This is great. Thanks a lot!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.