Will applying to Direct TC's now prevent/hurt my 2024 Spring/Summer VS Applications?

biglaworbust

Jun 29, 2023
Hello everyone!

So basically, I had a really poor first year (see results below) which left me unable to apply for vacation schemes during my second year. However, I've had what I believe to be a decently strong second year (see below) which I hope to follow up with an even better third year. I know that my first year marks put me at a disadvantage compared to other candidates and I may not have much success, however I find (like almost anyone else) that I get better at things with more time/practice and believe that having a chance to familiarize/expose myself to the application process (questions, WG, SJT etc) will put me in a better position when applying for Vacation Schemes during the 2023/24 cycle. Aside from my poor first year marks, I believe that I can put forward a high quality application as I have a decent amount of legal work experience and I've already researched these firms. That being said, if applying to Direct TC's will bar or otherwise disadvantage me in regards to 2024 Spring/Summer VS, it isn't worth it as I think my application will only get stronger from here on out.

I know so this may vary by firm so these are the ones I am interested in applying to:
Freshfields
Hogan Lovells
Norton Rose Fulbright
White and Case

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Year 1:
Constitutional and Administrative Law - 64%
Criminal Law - 55.2%
Contact Law - 54%
Legal Foundations - 50%
Overall Year 1: 55.8%

Year 2:
Competition Law- 75%
European Union Law- 72%
Land Law - 66.4%
Equity and Trusts - 64.2%
Tort Law - 64%
Overall Year 2: 67%

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello everyone!

So basically, I had a really poor first year (see results below) which left me unable to apply for vacation schemes during my second year. However, I've had what I believe to be a decently strong second year (see below) which I hope to follow up with an even better third year. I know that my first year marks put me at a disadvantage compared to other candidates and I may not have much success, however I find (like almost anyone else) that I get better at things with more time/practice and believe that having a chance to familiarize/expose myself to the application process (questions, WG, SJT etc) will put me in a better position when applying for Vacation Schemes during the 2023/24 cycle. Aside from my poor first year marks, I believe that I can put forward a high quality application as I have a decent amount of legal work experience and I've already researched these firms. That being said, if applying to Direct TC's will bar or otherwise disadvantage me in regards to 2024 Spring/Summer VS, it isn't worth it as I think my application will only get stronger from here on out.

I know so this may vary by firm so these are the ones I am interested in applying to:
Freshfields
Hogan Lovells
Norton Rose Fulbright
White and Case

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Year 1:
Constitutional and Administrative Law - 64%
Criminal Law - 55.2%
Contact Law - 54%
Legal Foundations - 50%
Overall Year 1: 55.8%

Year 2:
Competition Law- 75%
European Union Law- 72%
Land Law - 66.4%
Equity and Trusts - 64.2%
Tort Law - 64%
Overall Year 2: 67%
Some firms do have policies that state you can only apply once in a calendar or academic year, Or within a 12 month period, so if that is the case you should factor that into your decision making as to whether to apply or wait.

You may find more success once you have your final year grades, as your first year grades then become a minority, and so may want to factor in whether waiting until next summer might be better for some of these firms.

Sierra

Standard Member
Junior Lawyer
Apr 5, 2023
Thought I'd say that that is a marked improvement across your grades! A 12% increase (especially in difficult areas of law) is a remarkable feat, and you should feel proud.

Definitely worth applying for vacation schemes during the next cycle - but perhaps for firms that you didn't apply to the previous year. You never know that you might find that you enjoy those firms more + have more opportunities there.

You can always try for direct TCs, or final year vac schemes for your initially-applied firms. But definitely keep working hard on your studies! It seems to be paying off well

Reactions: biglaworbust

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.