Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The challenge for you (by the sounds of it) is that there will be very little evidence of your actual academic ability if your mitigating circumstances cover both your A-levels and degree. Do you have any grades where your circumstances were either under control or not present?

Reactions: KabirAhmad

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi, I hope everyone is doing well.

Without having to mention my whole life story...I've had a rough life (mentally) which affected my grades a lot. I was diagnosed with a mental health condition in my final year of University, but I had this condition for a while, and my a-level grades plummeted, along with my first two years of University.

I was just wondering if I have any chance AT ALL, to get a training contract with a city firm or even a magic circle/American firm. I'm a non-law student studying at a Russel Group University in London (not the best). I have mitigating circumstances along with a backlog of medical evidence to supply in applications. My work experience is quite extensive: I was a part of a Business partnership programme with Clyde&Co in 2016, which paired me with a mentor (whom I speak to still), I managed to win the competition which was a part of the programme. I then managed to land a 1-week internship at the firm In 2019, which was amazing. I also have some work experience in a high street firm as a secretary and admin. I am currently undertaking a pro-bono placement with Clifford Chance. I have been very active in seeking opportunities that can overshadow my academics. I also have 3 mentors (who encourage me - but I haven't told them about my problems or grades). I would really love to work at Clyde&Co, its literally my dream firm (any firm would do at this point), but with my poor history, I really doubt myself.

I would really appreciate it if someone replies :)
    Firstly, I'd tell your mentors about your situation/grades (if you feel comfortable doing so obviously and even if not then giving them enough detail without having to get fully personal if that makes sense) and ask for their advice - that's literally what the relationship is designed for and they may be able to give you some really helpful advice/point you in a direction that could be really useful for you

Reactions: KabirAhmad

KabirAhmad

Mar 28, 2021
    The challenge for you (by the sounds of it) is that there will be very little evidence of your actual academic ability if your mitigating circumstances cover both your A-levels and degree. Do you have any grades where your circumstances were either under control or not present?
    Hi Jessica, thanks for the reply.

Yes. I'm currently sitting my third year now. I have had very good grades this year. And I've improved significantly. My first and second year were not very good. I'm on track for a 2.1 and I will hopefully receive my overall classification by July. I am also planning to self fund the GDL as I have been saving up for a while. I aim to get a distinction as I've really changed my life around as of late.

KabirAhmad

Mar 28, 2021
    Firstly, I'd tell your mentors about your situation/grades (if you feel comfortable doing so obviously and even if not then giving them enough detail without having to get fully personal if that makes sense) and ask for their advice - that's literally what the relationship is designed for and they may be able to give you some really helpful advice/point you in a direction that could be really useful for you
    Hey Daniel. I really appreciate the reply. I didn't tell my mentors about my condition, however, I told two of them (the ones I'm closest with) that I received BBC during my A levels. My mentor who's currently at White & Case told me to still apply for vac schemes and training contracts, and to stack up on work experience. I just have so much self doubt. If I didn't have a panic attack in both of my exams during A level, I would have came out with triple A's.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hey Daniel. I really appreciate the reply. I didn't tell my mentors about my condition, however, I told two of them (the ones I'm closest with) that I received BBC during my A levels. My mentor who's currently at White & Case told me to still apply for vac schemes and training contracts, and to stack up on work experience. I just have so much self doubt. If I didn't have a panic attack in both of my exams during A level, I would have came out with triple A's.
    Ah, I see okay well at least they're aware of your grades! I'm sure if you were to tell them you would only receive positive and supportive responses but obviously, that's entirely up to you.

If you get a 2.1 then it should still be very possible for you to get a training contract with a top firm especially due to your mitigating circumstances! My A levels were similar to yours and I'll be joining a top US firm in September 2022 so, hopefully, that should give you some hope :)

I did exactly what your mentors described and tried to get as much work experience as possible and to do as well as I could at university so it is very possible, especially when many firms are scrapping their A-level requirements - best of luck :)

KabirAhmad

Mar 28, 2021
    Ah, I see okay well at least they're aware of your grades! I'm sure if you were to tell them you would only receive positive and supportive responses but obviously, that's entirely up to you.

If you get a 2.1 then it should still be very possible for you to get a training contract with a top firm especially due to your mitigating circumstances! My A levels were similar to yours and I'll be joining a top US firm in September 2022 so, hopefully, that should give you some hope :)

I did exactly what your mentors described and tried to get as much work experience as possible and to do as well as I could at university so it is very possible, especially when many firms are scrapping their A-level requirements - best of luck :)
    Daniel, that is so helpful and motivating 😊. Congrats on your training contract! I do believe that I am quite fortunate to have had so many opportunities in the legal space, and I've taken advantage of every one of them.

Thank you so much. I hope to be in your position one day. Take care and stay safe

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.