Willkie and Orrick vac scheme app

Adanna

Jan 14, 2021
Hey guys! Just signed up to tcla because the help and feedback on these forums look great!

I have a video interview for Willkie, Farr and Ghallagher coming up and wanted to know if anyone has had experience with their VI interview and could offer some tips?

Also, I wanted to know if anyone has been through the recruitment process for Orrick? Just wanted to know if I should anticipate a reply from them any time soon or if their recruitment process is slow, I sent in my application late December. I'm also worried because I spent a lot of time editing the app, only to realise that I had completely forgot to address my cover letter at the beginning to grad rec so it looks more like a personal statement. I don't know how I made such a stupid mistake, I was so focused on the body thinking I can just add it in the beginning that it went over my head at the end. Rant over, but praying it has not completely ruined my chances.

Thanks for your help guys! :)

Jammo58

Star Member
Oct 1, 2020
I submitted my Orrick application on 27th October... still haven't heard anything. I haven't seen anything on here to indicate that anybody else has heard back either. This is for the 2021 vacation scheme.

Chloe L

Valued Member
Dec 24, 2020
Hey guys! Just signed up to tcla because the help and feedback on these forums look great!

I have a video interview for Willkie, Farr and Ghallagher coming up and wanted to know if anyone has had experience with their VI interview and could offer some tips?

Also, I wanted to know if anyone has been through the recruitment process for Orrick? Just wanted to know if I should anticipate a reply from them any time soon or if their recruitment process is slow, I sent in my application late December. I'm also worried because I spent a lot of time editing the app, only to realise that I had completely forgot to address my cover letter at the beginning to grad rec so it looks more like a personal statement. I don't know how I made such a stupid mistake, I was so focused on the body thinking I can just add it in the beginning that it went over my head at the end. Rant over, but praying it has not completely ruined my chances.

Thanks for your help guys! :)
Hi Adanna I have my video interview next week! Do you have any tips?

Adanna

Jan 14, 2021
Hi Adanna I have my video interview next week! Do you have any tips?
Hey, I’ve not received the results yet, grad rec emailed me to update that I will receive a response with this week that is coming so take anything I say with a pinch of salt please.

this was my third video interview for a vac and what I’ve learnt about myself from them is that every time I try to memorise specific answers word for word, I mess up usually because they don’t ask the question the way I had read it during prep. I think my biggest advice would be to definitely search through common questions (or questions they have asked in the past) and loosely plan them, maybe bullet points of areas you can touch on. This way if they ask it differently, you don’t get flustered because you can see key words in the questions and match them to the different areas you have already mapped out. There are some answers that are a permanent fixture in memory of you have experiences with interviews at this point and that’s fine, to be completely honest I do use the mixture of the two methods, but I think this method particularly has helped me to be able to adapt in video interviews.

Think second biggest thing I’d say is speak slowly and breathe. Seems silly/obvious. But when I force myself to speak slowly my words come out so much clearer and professional.

Again please take everything I say with a pinch of salt, especially the first bit, different things work for different people.

And lastly good luck sis! You will be fine, and Willkie’s intro to the vid makes a lot of effort to make you comfortable before you start so I’d recommend you to pay attention to the beginning! :)

Reactions: Chloe L

Chloe L

Valued Member
Dec 24, 2020
Hey, I’ve not received the results yet, grad rec emailed me to update that I will receive a response with this week that is coming so take anything I say with a pinch of salt please.

this was my third video interview for a vac and what I’ve learnt about myself from them is that every time I try to memorise specific answers word for word, I mess up usually because they don’t ask the question the way I had read it during prep. I think my biggest advice would be to definitely search through common questions (or questions they have asked in the past) and loosely plan them, maybe bullet points of areas you can touch on. This way if they ask it differently, you don’t get flustered because you can see key words in the questions and match them to the different areas you have already mapped out. There are some answers that are a permanent fixture in memory of you have experiences with interviews at this point and that’s fine, to be completely honest I do use the mixture of the two methods, but I think this method particularly has helped me to be able to adapt in video interviews.

Think second biggest thing I’d say is speak slowly and breathe. Seems silly/obvious. But when I force myself to speak slowly my words come out so much clearer and professional.

Again please take everything I say with a pinch of salt, especially the first bit, different things work for different people.

And lastly good luck sis! You will be fine, and Willkie’s intro to the vid makes a lot of effort to make you comfortable before you start so I’d recommend you to pay attention to the beginning! :)
Thank you so much sis!! Super super helpful! Where can I find common questions or questions that have been asked in the past?

Adanna

Jan 14, 2021
Thank you so much sis!! Super super helpful! Where can I find common questions or questions that have been asked in the past?
No problem! And tcla have quite a few here, I think. Other than that I googled it. The email said it will be a mixture of motivation and commercial awareness questions so I’d say deffo practice your why law, why Willkie answers and brush up on the news. They won’t ask you competency questions as they are trying to make their recruitment process as blind as possible to remove unconscious bias.

• 🤝
Reactions: Chloe L

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.