Winter Vac. Schemes & Direct Training Contracts

sj20

Standard Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,

Non-law (STEM) student heading into final-year here. In the alternative history of a COVID-free world, I would have had a fieldwork-related project during June and July, so only applied for later vacation schemes. The project obviously was cancelled, but it left me with a single vacation scheme at a Magic Circle firm that does not have the highest conversion rate to training contracts... which has left me somewhat worried.

I have got a relatively good amount of related work experience, including a consultancy internship in summer 2019 where the main deliverable was on an international energy arbitration of sizeable value. I also am part of a US law firm's accelerated pathway, and am currently working remotely as a Summer Research Assistant for a research centre at a T6 American Law School. I'm currently averaging a low first in my degree at Imperial, which is something of a desert for legal recruitment, and have quite strong, but not directly legal-related, ECs.

As you might have inferred, I am somewhat craving the certainty that a training contract offer could bring right now. With that in mind, and given my lack of vacation schemes, should I be shooting for winter vacation schemes or direct training contracts? My deadlines mean that a winter vac scheme should work fine, but I hear that they tend to more be competitive to get on and I do not know if I failed at that whether it would preclude me from applying to a direct training contract (or spring/summer vac scheme) with the firm, as it would presumably count as the same cycle? Ditto, since most of these winter vac schemes clash, how willing are firms to consider transferring you to another vac scheme or a direct TC assessment? Is this a case of contact each individual firm, or is there a general rule that most graduate recruitment teams follow in this regard?

As a final consideration, I could technically switch to an integrated masters degree before June if I failed to get a training contract offer secured by then. Any and all input would be much appreciated.

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
You should check specifically as to whether applying to a winter vacation scheme would preclude you from the Summer / Direct TC in the same cycle. I know a few firms that allow for a Winter VS application AND a Direct TC application in the same cycle. Winter vacation schemes also have a decent conversion rate in any case. Further, there are many firms to apply to. In an ideal world, you would have to pick some firms over others as to whether you spend your Winter/Summer with them over others (and instead opt for a direct TC). Perhaps you should diversify your application strategy accordingly to this?

You're in a strong position given your degree, university and experience.

Reactions: sj20

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
1) you haven’t got a lack of vacation schemes. You have one - this is a strong position to be in.

2) everything about your experiences suggests a very strong profile which again will put you in strong contention if you can write a good application/explain why you want to do the job

3) Winter schemes are not necessarily more or less competitive than summer schemes. It’s one of those candidate urban myths that perpetuates every cycle

4) some firms will be willing to move you to a TC assessment or another vacation scheme, but there is no general rule for that. It’s always done on a case by case basis -lethal can every vary within the same firm depending on the circumstances of the individual and also the opportunities the firm has at the time of making that decision. There’s no point contacting firms until you get to that position though. At best find out which firms you would be eligible to apply more than one per cycle and make judgements from there.

Reactions: sj20 and Karin

sj20

Standard Member
Apr 5, 2020
You should check specifically as to whether applying to a winter vacation scheme would preclude you from the Summer / Direct TC in the same cycle. I know a few firms that allow for a Winter VS application AND a Direct TC application in the same cycle. Winter vacation schemes also have a decent conversion rate in any case. Further, there are many firms to apply to. In an ideal world, you would have to pick some firms over others as to whether you spend your Winter/Summer with them over others (and instead opt for a direct TC). Perhaps you should diversify your application strategy accordingly to this?

You're in a strong position given your degree, university and experience.

Thanks, I was surprised by how many firms do offer winter schemes actually. As you said, I guess it's probably just a case of applying for winter to some but not all possible firms of interest who offer it, then if nothing comes of that or Slaughters then reassessing. I presume it would make more sense for firms who have June or July, non-rolling direct TC applications to go for their vac schemes instead and interview off the back of that? And just target direct TC applications to firms with earlier or non-rolling deadlines.

sj20

Standard Member
Apr 5, 2020
1) you haven’t got a lack of vacation schemes. You have one - this is a strong position to be in.

2) everything about your experiences suggests a very strong profile which again will put you in strong contention if you can write a good application/explain why you want to do the job

3) Winter schemes are not necessarily more or less competitive than summer schemes. It’s one of those candidate urban myths that perpetuates every cycle

4) some firms will be willing to move you to a TC assessment or another vacation scheme, but there is no general rule for that. It’s always done on a case by case basis -lethal can every vary within the same firm depending on the circumstances of the individual and also the opportunities the firm has at the time of making that decision. There’s no point contacting firms until you get to that position though. At best find out which firms you would be eligible to apply more than one per cycle and make judgements from there.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I guess what makes me nervous is I that I have the impression that most other vac schemers at MC firms will have multiple schemes. The firm with the VS was my only final-round interview, even; that is probably because I did not put in significant enough effort into this summer's rounds, nor had I developed as comprehensive an understanding of both the legal sector and "how to" apply at that time, but it does give me something of impostor-syndrome even prior to starting. As you suggested, I'll contact the respective graduate recruitment teams closer to the time on their policies.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I guess what makes me nervous is I that I have the impression that most other vac schemers at MC firms will have multiple schemes. Slaughters was my only final-round interview, even; that is probably because I did not put in significant enough effort into this summer's rounds, nor had I developed as comprehensive an understanding of both the legal sector and "how to" apply at that time, but it does give me something of impostor-syndrome even prior to starting. As you suggested, I'll contact the respective graduate recruitment teams closer to the time on their policies.

If they have multiple schemes, doesn’t that benefit you more? They have multiple schemes but can only accept on training contract. If they only had one scheme each, there would be less chance for you to secure a TC, as there would be more of them distributed across firms.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.