BK

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 26, 2020
Please state the month/year you interviewed at the firm.
February 2021

Please specify what the interview was for.

Summer Vacation Scheme 2021

Please give an overview of the day with approximate timings.

The interview lasted for an hour. I was interviewed by a member of HR and a partner.

They started by asking me about my academic experience. I was asked to talk about my non-law degree and why I had chosen to study a non-law related subject.

I was then asked to talk about how I found the GDL - which parts I enjoyed and which parts I didn't enjoy so much. I was then asked the generic questions - 'Why law?' and 'Why Withers?'. They probed me further on each of the answers I gave. They asked why I was interested in the international element of Withers' work in particular.

I was then asked a number of competency based questions. For example, I was asked to talk about a time in which I had broken the rules, as well as a time that I had to make a quick decision. I was also asked to give examples of specific situations where I had demonstrated teamwork and good organisation.

I was then asked a couple of commercial questions. I was given a hypothetical scenario about a foreign client who wanted to market a product in the UK and had to say how Withers' various legal teams could assist.

At the end of the interview I had the opportunity to ask some questions. I was then told I would find out the outcome in around a month.

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.

In advance of the interview, I had to submit a written assessment which is very brief. Each answer only allows around 60 words.

I was then asked to complete numerical and verbal reasoning tests a week prior to the interview.

The final stage of the assessment was an interview which lasted for an hour.

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

There is not much that can be done to prepare for the tests. However, for the interview, I would advise researching the firm as much as possible, particularly its international strategy. Also a good idea to have a good grasp of current affairs/key commercial issues in the news at the time.

Were you successful?

No

BK

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 26, 2020
Please state the month/year you interviewed at the firm.
January 2021

Please specify what the interview was for.
Summer Vacation Scheme 2021

Please give an overview of the day with approximate timings.
2pm: 1 hour interview with a partner and graduate recruitment

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.
2pm: 1 hour interview with partner and graduate recruitment. 40 minutes on scenario/motivational questions. 15 minutes on a scenario question, 5 minutes for you to ask questions.

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

Interview: they will ask you about multiple practice areas so be sure to prepare for more than one. Withers is a unique firm, and they want you to show specific motivation for their firm. The questions are tricky so take your time to think. For the profit question, they want you to show your understanding about how a business works, so talk about costs, profits and revenue, and how to increase revenue for the firm. For the scenario question, try to think of as many practice areas as you can. Withers does good work in many more areas than other city law firms, such as family law and immigration law, so do talk about those.

Were you successful?
No

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.