Womble Bond Dickinson

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    I'm currently applying for the 2021 vac scheme and am struggling with this question

"Womble Bond Dickinson has been recognised as an innovator within the legal profession. Tell us about a business or person you feel has been particularly innovative; why do you find them innovative and are there any lessons that we can learn from them?"

I wonder if anyone has any advice on tackling this question

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I'm currently applying for the 2021 vac scheme and am struggling with this question

"Womble Bond Dickinson has been recognised as an innovator within the legal profession. Tell us about a business or person you feel has been particularly innovative; why do you find them innovative and are there any lessons that we can learn from them?"

I wonder if anyone has any advice on tackling this question
    It would be good to get a sense of your thoughts so far but this is really an opportunity for you to show your personality and interests too. Who do you genuinely admire for being an innovator? With these questions I’d advise actually not overthinking them and try to explore those who come to mind from the outset.

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    I don't want to go with an obvious person but someone I admire personally for being innovative is Grace Beverly and her companies TALA and shreddy as she had taken the fitness market by storm and is very innovative in terms of sustainable gym wear.

I'm not sure whether that would be an appropriate idea to go with or how to really link that back to what lessons the firm could learn from her other than that she's constantly pushing boundaries and trying new things?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I don't want to go with an obvious person but someone I admire personally for being innovative is Grace Beverly and her companies TALA and shreddy as she had taken the fitness market by storm and is very innovative in terms of sustainable gym wear.

I'm not sure whether that would be an appropriate idea to go with or how to really link that back to what lessons the firm could learn from her other than that she's constantly pushing boundaries and trying new things?
    I very much like this idea. The lessons will come really from how she manages those businesses and what she does. I follow her on social media but her ethos is sustainability and she might touch on her company culture too. She also has a book coming out about working practices so that would no doubt be something to look at as well and anything she has put out as to it’s contents.

Reactions: Georgina Evans

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    I very much like this idea. The lessons will come really from how she manages those businesses and what she does. I follow her on social media but her ethos is sustainability and she might touch on her company culture too. She also has a book coming out about working practices so that would no doubt be something to look at as well and anything she has put out as to it’s contents.
    Thank you for your advice

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019
    I've also started this and wondering if this is the only question for their application?! If so, seems they changed it from a personal statement last year.

M0723

Valued Member
  • Jan 19, 2020
    Hi everyone, I've a question regarding the education details on their application form. Because they only have one subject slot and one grade slot per qualification, are we supposed to just put all our grades and subjects under one entry or make multiple entries of the different grades?

Thanks!!

cloud9

Jan 25, 2021
    Hi everyone, I've a question regarding the education details on their application form. Because they only have one subject slot and one grade slot per qualification, are we supposed to just put all our grades and subjects under one entry or make multiple entries of the different grades?

Thanks!!
    I'm also confused by this - are we supposed to add our uni degree in the Education or Life History section?

Ahi88

Future Trainee
  • Feb 29, 2020
    I answered a similar question for a different firm but the main aspects of this question concerning innovation within the legal profession and choosing a business i admire remain the same.

The starting point would be to choose a business/person you are genuinely interested in. Don't write about something you think they would like to hear. The business/person you choose also provides some insight into your interests and personality so don't be afraid to choose something you are passionate about. This should help you answer the first part regarding why you find them innovative.

For the second part of the question, the key is to extract an overarching quality, strategy or aspect of that business/person and apply it to the legal industry. Law firms are ultimately a business driven to make profits so thinking in this way may help you construct your answer.

As an example, I chose a technology company from Asia and commented on how their business decisions were focused heavily on client experience and service delivery. I explained how this quality was particularly innovative because it goes right to the core of what innovation should be about. Innovation should concentrate on improving the client experience of services and not innovate just for the sake of innovation. I explained how this strategy provided the business with a structured approach in decision making, allowing them to allocate their resources in a purpose-driven way. I then applied this briefly to the legal industry whilst linking it closely with what the firm you are applying to could potentially do in the future if it adopted the same strategy. Always link it back to what the firm is already doing and comment on how the innovative quality you have chosen provides the firm a more competitive advantage.

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019

Thanks!!
    I'm also wondering this, have you heard anything regarding this?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.