Work Experience aka "Life History" WBD Application

erin1009

• Feb 10, 2022
    Hi there!

Hoping to get some advice and insights. I am in the middle of doing an application to WBD. They only have one section to give details under "Life History" for experiences. The character limit is 1000 so it is very short. Given there is no Why this firm? Why you? questions I wanted to know how you would approach this. I want to be able to tailor it to the firm and I've researched it throughly- I just do not have the space to do so. Please can someone assist?

Thank you :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi there!

Hoping to get some advice and insights. I am in the middle of doing an application to WBD. They only have one section to give details under "Life History" for experiences. The character limit is 1000 so it is very short. Given there is no Why this firm? Why you? questions I wanted to know how you would approach this. I want to be able to tailor it to the firm and I've researched it throughly- I just do not have the space to do so. Please can someone assist?

If the firm is not asking why this firm, it’s likely they just don’t want this information so don’t try to force it in. They are most likely going to assess it at a later stage in the process.

However, you may want to think about what evidence you have in your “life history” that most aligns to the firm or its values and concentrate your content on those elements.

erin1009

• Feb 10, 2022
    If the firm is not asking why this firm, it’s likely they just don’t want this information so don’t try to force it in. They are most likely going to assess it at a later stage in the process.

However, you may want to think about what evidence you have in your “life history” that most aligns to the firm or its values and concentrate your content on those elements.
    Thank you so much Jessica! I really appreciate hearing this especially with your experience.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi there!

Hey @erin1009,

I totally agree with @Jessica Booker, the firm is probably not interested in hearing why this firm now and it might assess it during interviews or further assessments.

I would try and talk about an experience that really made you understand why you wanted to become a lawyer in the first place and that might allow you to answer the 'Why this firm' and 'Why you' whilst answering the question fully. Additionally, you can include a sentence or two saying how you are excited to pursue this career at WBD and that should be enough in my opinion.

In questions like this I understand that it might be difficult to incorporate everything that you have researched, however everything has its time and I would just try to answer the question, which is the most important thing.

I hope that helps and good luck with the process!

Reactions: erin1009

erin1009

• Feb 10, 2022
    Hey @erin1009,

I totally agree with @Jessica Booker, the firm is probably not interested in hearing why this firm now and it might assess it during interviews or further assessments.

I would try and talk about an experience that really made you understand why you wanted to become a lawyer in the first place and that might allow you to answer the 'Why this firm' and 'Why you' whilst answering the question fully. Additionally, you can include a sentence or two saying how you are excited to pursue this career at WBD and that should be enough in my opinion.

In questions like this I understand that it might be difficult to incorporate everything that you have researched, however everything has its time and I would just try to answer the question, which is the most important thing.

I hope that helps and good luck with the process!
    Thank you so much Axel, this really helps!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.